Search results

1. A

Margarita snails

I have astrea snails in my tank, but they don't do a great job. I don't mind getting lots of grazers and supplementing them later with algae sheets or wafers. I was just wondering if margarita snails will help with the hair algae.
  2. A

Margarita snails

Can I get some opinions on margarita snails? I have an issue with hair algae as well as other types, and am trying to isolate the problem. I have cut back on feeding and am adjusting water changes, etc., to try and clear it up. I have read that these snails are prolific algae eaters and was...
  3. A

Salt - Which is best?

I had switched from IO to Oceanic some time ago, and had no problem with the switch. If everyone thinks this is a good salt, I don't mind using this. Was just wondering if there was something that would be better for my finny friends. Will check out the link above :) Thanks everyone.
  4. A

Salt - Which is best?

I currently purchase 200 gallon mix buckets of oceanic sea salt. I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best salt out there. Is there really a difference in quality?
  5. A

Skimmer ? Please help if you can

I purchased a nano bio cube protein skimmer a few months ago and put it away because I had trouble with it. I installed this in my 12 gallon eclipse tank and hope it will work. I put it in there as there is more room in the cover and it fits well with the cup out of the water. However, I...
  6. A

salt got hard

You are right about everyone having a rubber mallet. I was banging on the bucket and my cat was watching me. The feline holy terror started acting up trying to jump on tanks and i picked up the mallet from my lap to move it and grab her and she took one look and went flying out of the room. :)
  7. A

salt got hard

I went to the hardware store and got a mallet. I used it and it worked great. Broke up the salt into big chunks. Fortunately, underneath the chunks was regular salt that hadn't hardened. I am going to test the water very carefully if I do use it. Thanks very much. The $2 mallet saved me...
  8. A

salt got hard

I had thought about adding water to the salt and just leaving it as a mush, but didn't know if it would go bad. I had hoped I could do that and just add mush to my other bucket like i would the salt. I don't have a drill. I did try hammer and butter knife, but it is very hard in the...
  9. A

salt got hard

this may be a stupid question but . . . i bought a bucket of salt and it must have gotten wet because now its hard. i would like to break the salt without ruining the bucket. i've tried to break it but it is very difficult. does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this problem?
  10. A

Phosphate level in question

I have had the same problem with phosphates. I ordered some phosphate sponge, and I run it in a filter in a 5 gallon bucket to remove the phosphate before mixing my water. It works pretty well. I just have to remove it after 24 or so hours and then add fresh when I do next bucket of water...
  11. A

Clown or Bicolor

Was getting ready to order the tailspot blenny and found out quick it isn't compatible with cardinal fish. Don't know why, but I don't think my cardinal will like him :(
  12. A

50% Water Change

I had the same problem with nitrates in my one tank. I did 25% water changes for 3 days in a row to get it under control. Everyone was fine. When I did a 50% water change in my slightly larger tank, the corals all pouted for days.
  13. A

Does anyone hatch there own brine shrimp?

I have had several different tries at hatching them. None of them were successful. I tried several different "kits" out there and nothing seemed to work well. I would be interested in knowing if there is a sure-fire way of hatching these as well.
  14. A

Clown or Bicolor

I love the little tailspot blenny. Never saw one of those before. I wish I could keep a green clown and a tailspot in the tank, but figure that isn't possible :( It is a hard decision. I am going to have to toss a coin lol.
  15. A

Clown or Bicolor

I have a tank that has been set up for awhile now. It currently has a cardinal and a fire shrimp. I am interested in adding either a green clown goby or a bicolor blenny, but am not sure which is better to add. It is a 12 gallon aquapod with liverock and star polyps. Anyone have a...
  16. A

bubble making black cap basset?

anyone have any idea why he does this?
  17. A

bubble making black cap basset?

I have a black cap basset (Scholar) who does something strange. He goes behind the chaeto, comes back out and blows bubbles. They actually look like a smoke ring. :lookaroun Any idea if this is normal? He doesn't seem to be acting otherwise unusual. He actually seems to be enjoying it.
  18. A

Banjo's booboo

I hope the dottyback will be okay in his new tank. There are 2 clowns in there. I really like the guy and hate to trade him in :( I will see if I can get a 10 gallon tank. I have 5 gallons, but that will probably be too small as well. My problem isn't $ to get it, it is where on earth where...
  19. A

Banjo's booboo

I have a 1.5 gallon tank with light and I could put a sponge filter in it, or a 2.5 gallon glass tank. I didn't want to move him around as he is so stressed right now. If I put him in a 1.5 tank, will he be okay? I only have sponge filters that are cycled in other tanks that are freshwater...