Search results

1. IamELMO

Orchid Dottyback

In the last day or two (day one judging by egg development) my orchids spawned. This is their second known spawning - first was in the plastic bag on a long haul trip. Single jelly egg mass, about 15mm long by 10mm high. Yes, I will be trying to raise these at a later date, I'm just...
  2. IamELMO

Acan help

I got an acan some time ago. it was fully fleshy and well inflated, at night it'd extend feeder tentacles and generally was happy healthy and doing well. Now, for reasons unknown, it isn't inflating, it is still growing new polyps though and at night still puts out it's tentacles. Is there...
  3. IamELMO

External parasitic worms

It appears I may have introduced a couple of worms. They are on my female clowns face - two of them about 2mm long and white. They don't appear to be causing any discomfort at the moment but I kind of want to get on this before a/ it spreads or b/ worsens. What would the course of treatment...
  4. IamELMO

Christchurch Earthquakes

I'm not sure if you've heard round your parts of the world, but Christchurch, NZ had a biggish earthquake recently (4th Sept). They are still getting after shocks, I think it's over 2000. A guy from one of our local forums set up a webcam and caught a 4.8 aftershock and the effect it had on...
  5. IamELMO

Ewwwwwww

I was cleaning out some of my rock and found this. He was all scrunched up as I rinsed the rock in fresh water - stretched out he was a monster. I say was and now he is worm food
  6. IamELMO

Cloudy eye

My rotten luck with Banggai's continues. The right eye on my male has clouded over in the 24 hrs. It seems the fish can still see out of it as when I approach he swims away, but it is slightly swollen and cloudy. Any ideas? I'm thinking bacterial and is at the moment, the only fish with this...
  7. IamELMO

How important are water changes

In a FOWLR tank, how important are water changes, assuming bio and mechanical filtering keep up with ammonia, trites and trates? If the reasons (or some of them) are to reduce nitrates and replenish trace elements, do fish need trade elements?
  8. IamELMO

HLLE in my yellow tang - NLS pellet food

I have what I fear to be the start of HLLE in my yellow tang. I did some checks and have found the NLS claim to be able to reverse it. Does anyone have any experience with this or is it hopeful advertising? My yellow and blue tangs have been spoilt to the point where they won't touch nori...
  9. IamELMO

Sorry, another algae ID.....

I'm picking a type of invasive caulerpa? Any other ideas or thoughts?
  10. IamELMO

Some of my fish

Coral Beauty (just with flash) Spot the Blenny :) My yellow tang My blue tang (so hard to get a true colour) My two clowns at home
  11. IamELMO

Fish compatibilty

I'm considering getting an orchid dottyback (pseudochromis fridmani). Liveaquaria say they are a "with caution" as far as compatibility with blennies go. I have a molly miller blenny in my tank. Does anyone have any experience with blennies and dottybacks - good or bad? other tankmates are...
  12. IamELMO

Babies!!!!!

So I've had my Banggai female for about 2 months, I originally had two males but they fought, so I kept the more dominate of the two. They pretty much immediately clicked and about 26 days ago they shacked up. The male is about 5 months and the female is about 9 months old. This is their (and...
  13. IamELMO

Fake Urchin for baby Banggai's

Does anyone know if FIMO or plasticine is safe to make the body of the urchin out of? Plasticine may slowly "melt" so does anyone know if fimo is safe after it's been cooked?
  14. IamELMO

Anemone pooing

While my anemone does number 2's it shrivels down to a deflated bag of nothing. I'm wondering if I have a pair of clowns that are hosted by it - will they usually give it some time to itself and if not, will them snuggling damage or stress it while it's busy?
  15. IamELMO

My Close Call

So I brought my anemone home and my maroon jumps into it like a snap. My elation quickly turned to dismay as I came home to find a very sad sick shrivelled bag barely holding on to a rock. After quickly doing a lot of reading a found that maroon's are rough. So out she came, it was sad but had...
  16. IamELMO

Chalice coral growth

How do chalice corals grow? Are they encrusting or more like a monti cap? I see from 3/4' frags that they look like they are encrusting - do they reach a point where they lift off and grow differently? Does anyone have pictures of a chalice coral that has growth quite big? Or bigger than a small...
  17. IamELMO

Clown in RBTA

I have a female maroon clown (about 3") and a couple of days ago got a really nice rose BTA. In the shop, it was nice and inflated with beautiful bubbles. I put it in my tank and within 10 seconds my maroon was savagely wriggling in it. The foot hadn't even attached and she was really getting in...
  18. IamELMO

Maroon Clown Pairing

Would a maroon clown pair with a gold stripe maroon clown? I know they're the same species but geographically different. What are my chances or should I stick with a small (sub 1") white stripe maroon? Thoughts? This is my female (she's about 6cm - or just over 2")
  19. IamELMO

Destroying Nudibranchs

I'm having a real problem with nudibranch's eating my zoa's. I've tried manual removal over and over again but they seem to generate out of nothing :flaming: I've read that flatwork exit may work? I think they've been in the tank too long for isolated rock dipping so any thoughts on total...
  20. IamELMO

Sick Zoa?

My zoo colony has started getting a funny shape, instead of being quite flat and tentacles out, it's got quite pointy and the tentacles are pointing mostly towards the ground. They are an only colony in as much as they have their own rock and are about 8inches from any other coral. There is no...