Search results

1. S

Can I have your thoughts on UV please

Brucey, I've run UV on my tank since the beginning. I love the security it provides. As for ICH, my fish got it within one week of when the bulb burned out. So perhaps the theory that it makes the fish less immune is true. I lost nearly all my fish in the time it took to get another bulb...
  2. S

Xenia going going gone?

I have xenia that moves to wherever it feels like going. I started it three months ago on the bottom of a reef tank with very stron current and lighting. It apparently wanted more. It has literally climbed to the top of my highest rock. It is pushed by current constantly and sits directly...
  3. S

Reef For Sale - You gotta see this one! DFW

Nice reef! Hopefully someone will be able to take the whole thing. If it gets to the point where you decide you have to part it out, I'd be interested in pumps, etc.
  4. S

Do you name your fish?

I've named all my fish and shrimp. A few of them are: BEW (pronounced Boo) for bug-eyed woos for my lawnmower blenny who is afraid of everything. Freeway for my cleaner shrimp because of the stripe down his back and how fast he travels my tank. Test 1, 2 and 3 for the chromis that I cycled...
  5. S

wtb black percs

Not sure where you're located or if you would want them shipped, but Aquatouch in Arizona has them. Their website is www.aquatouch.com I was in the store yesterday and they have a whole tank of tank-raised black percs. Selling for about $35 a piece.
  6. S

Kitty Laid To Rest!

Sorry for the loss of your cat. It is never easy to lose a pet, but don't let that stop you from having them. I watch my dog (who is a therapy dog) bring many smiles to the faces of the people he meets in the hospital. I applaud you for having the courage to take your vet's advice when it...
  7. S

Ultra Violet Sterilizers

Everyone's advice here so far is right on the mark. I run a UV sterilizer and still run a healthy reef tank. I agree that at your stage a skimmer is first priority. Believe us when we say that what you ultimately want in your tank really helps at set-up. Get some books and decide if you...
  8. S

Fraged a Big Leather.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize how much it wuold cost to ship. I would only have room for one of the pieces, so it's not going to be cost effective for me. Good luck selling it. That is definitely some nice looking stuff!
  9. S

Fraged a Big Leather.

I would be interested in a piece if you are willing to ship.
  10. S

Frags for sale

Thanks for the reply anyway. You generate nice frags.
  11. S

Frags for sale

I would be interested in the top most picture of the zoo's if they're still available.
  12. S

Difference between 6700k and 10000k daylight bulbs?

I definitely agree with the advice you're getting. When I first got my lighting they came with 6500's. Even with actinics to supplement it was way too yellow for my liking. I have since moved to 10000's with the actinics. It is a much more realistic light setting compared to what you might...
  13. S

Can an in-sump skimmer be converted to a hang-on?

Thanks for the info so far. The skimmer is one of the original Berlin skimmers. It is not the newer turbo variety. I'm thinking that if I can make this work it would be a vast improvement from the Prizm skimmer I currently have to fight with daily.
  14. S

Can an in-sump skimmer be converted to a hang-on?

Has anyone out there ever converted an in-sump skimmer (for example a Berlin) to become a hang-on model? If so, what did the project involve? I can acquire a sump type skimmer for minimal cost, but do not have a sump or any room for one at this time. I would greatly appreciate any...
  15. S

Buying Fish Online

Although I would love to have the ability to always buy my fish locally, it often is not the case. I can agree with liveaquaria.com being the best to get fish from. Their guarantee is definitely honored when needed (I got a credit the next day). I can honestly say that I have had more fish...
  16. S

InReef - Great Service

I recently bought some metal halide bulbs from Joe at InReef. The bulbs arrived on time and in excellent condition. He definitely knows how to pack delicate items. I also used my forum discount with no questions asked. I would highly recommend doing business with them. :D
  17. S

For Sale 2 MagneTek VHO Ballasts

How heavy are they? What do you guess that shipping might run to Arizona?
  18. S

your first fish

My first "fish" were three green Chromis' that I still have. The first "real" fish I got was a scooter blenny that is still entertaining me over a year later.
  19. S

B Ionic Reef supplement

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't feel so bad about varying the two volumes now.
  20. S

B Ionic Reef supplement

Has anyone out there used this product? I read about it and decided to try it. There are two components, and the label says to use equal volumes of each. One comp is calcium, the other is alkalinity. After using it for a week I tested my tank. My calcium is a little low, but my...