Search results

1. J

A Silly Question?

OK, I've been at this for quite some time, but sometimes a person needs to go back to the beginning. I can't get the frickin' algae off my glass, no matter how hard I use my scrubbers. Is it acceptable to use a razor blade? I know they're metal, but if you throw them away after every use, how...
  2. J

Tang Compatability

"The Yellow Tang should be the last tang added" Great! I wish I knew that when I was just starting out. It was the first fish I bought. OK, so I won't buy another tang. I'm also going to pass on a mandarin, because I don't think he could survive. I guess my only choices left are angels and...
  3. J

Tang Compatability

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll pass on the Regal Tang right now. You're right. I still am fighting the red slime. But it only seems to be on the live sand. None on the live rock or anywhere else. I'm going to try to suck it out and re-treat the tank after changing some of the water...
  4. J

Sand Sifting Starfish

I've had one in my 75 gal for 3-4 weeks, and for the first 3 he was invisible - He was under the sand the entire time and I thought maybe he had died, but then he showed up and started moving on top of the sand like a hovercraft. He seems to be doing fine just eating whatever he finds. He...
  5. J

Tang Compatability

I have a well established 75 gal. tank. All its inhabitants are doing great: snails, starfish, crabs, 2 clowns, yellow tang, 2 yellow-tail blue damsels (can't think of correct name right now), blennie, yellow jawfish - all is well!! BUT, I want to add a blue hippo tang and perhaps a blue...
  6. J

Sand Sifting Starfish has disappeared

I bought a sand sifting starfish and he immediately went under the sand. I thought that was great, but he hasn't come back out in almost a week. Should I retrieve him, or can he be alive under there and just doing what they do?
  7. J

Can't find my jawfish

I have a yellowhead jawfish that I purchased yesterday. The substrate is deep enough, and the tank is fairly well established. At first he dug a 2" wide depression in the corner of the tank and was hanging out there. But now I can't find him. The top is well covered, but just in case, I...
  8. J

Jawfish

Do jawfish ever completely bury themselves so you can't see them? Mine has made a deep wide area that he was staying in, but now I don't see him, and I don't see a hole in the sand.
  9. J

New AGAIN, but with a Question

Well, I had a saltwater set-up for about 15 years.....but that was 15 years ago. Now, I'm starting again, and it seems like I've never done it before!!! I set up a 75 gal. tank with live sand and rock, and after about 2 months I was fighting red slime algae. I bought a product called Blue...