Search results

1. nstiesi

MH and T5 retro parts

Prices now include shipping
  2. nstiesi

MH and T5 retro parts

Halide retrofit: -2x ARO electronic ballasts, 175w. I bought them used, so can't attest to true age. I used them for 2-3 years -2x spider reflectors with sockets and plugs. Also bought used, then used for same length of time. They have the expected dings, screw holes, and salt pitting -All...
  3. nstiesi

FS: Red Bubble Tip Anemone and Clarkii Clown (South Florida area)

Know its a long shot, but if anyone local to the area is interested, these are they last two living things in my tank that need to go before i break it down. After selling everything else, interest in my local club dried up. $40 for the nem, $10 for the clarkii, or buy the nem take the...
  4. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Of course the color depends on how wet or dry I skim, light tea colored to motor oil. The skimmer is a reef octopus dwnb110 recirculating model rated for 125g, with a gate valve mod.
  5. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

The other thing I am really starting to think about right now is fuge flow and sump flow. I am wondering if I have enough, or even too much. Could that be the reason the skimmer underperforms, or the chaeto growth isnt more robust? The skimmer recirculates, so I am not so much worried about...
  6. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

In my experience, there is no amount of grazing critters in my tank that can keep up. Of course I think grazers have a place in the system, but they cannot be the main source of control. More and more as I think about all of this, I am wondering if I need a bigger/better skimmer. I need to...
  7. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

I feed a nori every other day, with a small cube of frozen meaty food on the in between days. Even then, the nori is a recent addition since I got a yellow tang 2 weeks ago. Before that it was just the meaty food once a day, sometimes skipping a day here and there. I only have three fish, a...
  8. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Yes, I can....sorry. Id say 4-6 months.
  9. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Unfortunately, I can't supply that information. It was in the midst of dosing and all these other issues that I realized how bad API test kits are on the low range. They ALWAYS read zero, but there lowest resolution wasn't adequate. I'm looking into getting better tests. Besides, I've always...
  10. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

In the first post I mentioned that I have had a long standing problem with bubble algae, and of late, hair has made an appearance. So, I'm going for a heightened understanding, a methodical process of problem identification and subsequent solution, all with the goal of improving my situation.
  11. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Ah, in the previous post I forgot Carbon dosing. I did it for a while, vinegar. Stopped when I got alot of bacterial blooms, and it seemed to have little to no affect on algal growth.
  12. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Ok, finally, here is my current approach on my 75g tank with 30g sump: Detritus - Filter socks. I probably need to change them a little more often, but go through about 3-4 per week. Every 3-5 water changes, I vacuum the entire sump Every water change that...
  13. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

I started on socks in the last few months. For whatever reason, I constantly had a detritus layer in my sump. I was vacuuming it every few weeks, not months. I only feed once a day, and only what gets eaten in about 5 minutes, not sure where it all comes from. More on my system in a bit...
  14. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

Well, here is the point of all of this. If my handy little chart is any way accurate, then I can identify three areas of control (and I know this is common knowledge for alot of folks, myself included, but I have the mind of an engineer, and sometimes we need to step back, and start from the...
  15. nstiesi

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Al, may I ask how long it took between install and the beginnings of the green film on the screen before your trip? I've had mine up for 7 days, and this morning I am now just beginning to see some film on mine, just wondering if that is about the norm. Thanks!
  16. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

It is as I understand it, but I am NOT a marine biologist, or chemist, just a lowly mechanical engineer. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before proceeding with my thoughts and musings.
  17. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

I purposefully withheld information about my system. I wanted to begin by correctly identifying the process (flow chart), then analyze it at each step to identify methods of management. At that point, I can look at my system and decide what needs to be fixed, and what needs to be added to...
  18. nstiesi

Nutrient Process

I've been in this hobby for about 5 years, and would describe my success rate as moderate. I'm currently recovering from mysterious zoa deaths (which I still cannot and may ever not explain), and nutrient/algae issues. I have been plagues with bubble algae for over a year, and after my...
  19. nstiesi

nstiesi's 75g gallon peninsula

So, its been 7 days. This morning I checked the scrubber and it looks like I have the beginnings of brown growth.....likely cyano or diatoms. Hopefully it continues and gives way to hair, slime, turf, and all that other nutrient gobbling good stuff. (unrelated, a few days ago I also pulled...
  20. nstiesi

nstiesi's 75g gallon peninsula

No, unfortunately I have no QT setup. I live on the edge, regrettably. Unless that stuff can be dosed in the display.