Search results

1. Luukosian

HW marinemix

Bought some HW-marinemix Reefer from BRS because it was on sale and suppose to be a good salt. Mixed up 15gal at 35ppt(1.026) and did a water change and had about a gallon left over. When I went to pour it in the sink it was like tea brown and brown residue all over the mixing container. Water...
  2. Luukosian

Royal Gramma with weird blister.

Had this Royal Gramma for a long time(5 years+) and just noticed today at feeding time it has almost what looks like a small blister but it's a semi-transparent white color. All other fish fine and no recent additions. 90 gal mixed reef other fish are foxface, blue damsel, eyelash goby, bangaii...
  3. Luukosian

Started vodka dosing

Started vodka dosing a few weeks ago on my 90 gal mixed reef. Nitrates and phosphates measure 0 on salifert tests(I know they are probably not actually 0 but approaching) but just kind of looking to take the tank to the next level. I was just kind of wondering what other people experienced with...
  4. Luukosian

Looking for pump with good head pressure.

Sick of carrying water up from the basement so title says it all. I'm looking for a pump with decent head pressure that can pump RO/DI from a brute trashcan in the basement up to an area by the aquarium on the main floor. The brute is basically right below the tank so I'd say maybe 12ft of hose...
  5. Luukosian

Arctic Biologist Shares Astonishing Sea Creatures With the World

Saw this article and had some neat pictures, figured I'd share. Arctic Biologist Shares Astonishing Sea Creatures With the World | Raw File | Wired.com
  6. Luukosian

PO4x4

So I bought some of this phosphate removal media from tbaquatics(order from them all the time, good company). I don't really have phosphate issues and I ussually use GFO, but figured I'd give this a try. It's been in a 2 chamber media reactor(one side carbon) for a couple months and it's getting...
  7. Luukosian

1000th post

Just noticed I just passed my 1000th post and just wanted to say how helpful and awesome everyone on this site has been over the years. Thanks everyone, RS is the best site out there for people in the hobby!
  8. Luukosian

Foxface sucked into pump....eye popped out.

Like the title says....I had a powerhead(with a small input, I've been meaning to upgrade it but I had it lying around) that was unplugged for a few days and when I plugged it in later that day I saw my foxface sucked in to the inlet eye first. Not sure if he got used to picking algae off it...
  9. Luukosian

New christmas fish

Probably the only person I know that gets fish for christmas(besides people on here obviously). My buddy showed up with a foxface rabbitfish this morning cause he heard me say I wanted one a while back......awesome. Looks like he's settling in pretty well. Sometimes friends "fish gifts" are well...
  10. Luukosian

diy 90gal stand

Going to build a stand for a 90 gallon tank I just picked up....been looking online but haven't been able to find any good plans for a stand with pictures. Don't want to go overboard just want something that will look good. Anyone got any good links to a build?
  11. Luukosian

polypropylene netting

Just bought a nice looking midas blenny about a week ago and getting nervous about him jumping my open top tank. I bought some light diffuser grating and it just seems to cut way too much light. Anyone know a good source to get that polypropylene netting I've seen some people using over...
  12. Luukosian

new tank for topoff

Looking for a new place to store ro/di for my auto topoff system in the 10-15 gallon range that doesn't take up much floor space and is preferably under 20 bucks... Any ideas?
  13. Luukosian

Instant ocean gel food

Been using this for a couple months now and fiigured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else is using it. Fish and coral all love it, doesn't seem to be raising nutrient levels any higher than frozen and its a heck of a lot easier! Its a gel that comes in 20 individual packets for...
  14. Luukosian

ORA breeding mandarin dragonets

Captive bred mandarin gobies soon commercially available from ORA Couldn't find the original article(or this may be it) and not sure if this has already been posted but sounds like good news to me.
  15. Luukosian

display about to overflow

Came home today and my display is almost to the brim, overflow isn't keeping up. Have a cpr type hang on overflow(c-shape type with the pump that goes on top to suck air bubbles out). Checked to see if air was stuck in overflow, something blocking the drain etc. and just cant figure it out...
  16. Luukosian

Info on this cowrie

I have what I think is an arabian cowrie that looks pretty close to the picture below. Was curious if anyone has any experience with these being reef safe or will they chew on soft coral? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9jTkGowIILg/SnqZGv-dOQI/AAAAAAAANqg/RMle2B0_YCY/s400/tmft060809p19.JPG
  17. Luukosian

chat tonight

Me and Jess are in chat if anyone else is bored and wants to join. :java:
  18. Luukosian

ID this goby, with pics

Got this goby on saturday and not sure what he is. Looked at some goby ID sites and still not sure. Last night he made a series of tunnels under a bunch of rocks. Lucky the tunnels are right in front and I can see him down in his tunnel through the glass, kind of neat. He finally came out so I...
  19. Luukosian

3 part calcium precipitation

I just ordered a 3 part kit and mixed the mag/alk/calcium together(3 seperate jugs) about 24 hours ago and there is still quite a bit of precipitate in both the calcium and magnesium. Is there any way I can get this to fully dissolve? I was thinking mabye diffusing some co2 in there to bring the...
  20. Luukosian

new bulbs with pictures

Got some new t-5's figured I would share what they look like since there are so many combonations out there. The before pictures are 2- catalina 10K's and 2- actinics. The new bulbs are 2- ATI Aquablue specials and 2- ATI blue plus, ordered them from reef geek and they were packaged...