Search results

1. reef dummy

mp40w night mode?

I just bought a used mp40w and can't find info. on a night mode setting. The new mp40 es has and enhanced night mode setting. Does anybody here have experience with this and if so how do you go about setting it. I don't have the instruction booklet. BTW, this pump ROCKS! Thanks in advance...
  2. reef dummy

Trade or sell entire frag set up

I set up a rubbermaid frag tank to save some corals that my Hippo decided he all of a sudden liked the taste of, mainly softies like zoas, etc.. I recently gave all these corals to a friend to look after and I don't need the frag setup anymore. Here is what is included. A rubbermaid underbed...
  3. reef dummy

How high?

How high up should I hang my LumenMax elite's over my standard 120g 4x2x2. Right now I have the bottom of reflector about 16" up so my corals can adjust a bit. I've heard at least 12" above, any thoughts? If you have pics please post.
  4. reef dummy

Epic fail!

Grrrrrr!! 5 of my 6 recently purchased large colony sps's all succumbed to rapid tissue necrosis. I have clams, an anemone and lots of other sps in my tank that are doing great. I took my time acclimating them and slowly moved them toward the top of my aquarium. One colony looks great, the other...
  5. reef dummy

Rookie ro/di mistake?

I have a 5-stage Spectrapure ro/di that I bought new filters for just now from Filterguys. This was my first time replacing them and I think I made a mistake. I just noticed that I ordered the actual cartridge with resin but realized I can probably just replace the resin and not the actual...
  6. reef dummy

Reef Crystals salt mix.

I've recently switched from Instant Ocean to ReefCrystals because of the supposed calcium increase in the mix and have noticed a scummy brown growth in my mix after 24 hours of aeration. I thought it was something with my equipment or mixing tub but after doing some research online it appears...
  7. reef dummy

Ballast ?

I just upgraded my lighting and ordered two LumenMax Elite reflectors for my 120g. I currently have a Current Sunpod 2x250. Does anybody know if my Sunpod ballasts will be compatible with the wiring that comes standard with the LumenMax reflector. I hope I don't have to buy new ballasts, at...
  8. reef dummy

Ouch, glad this isn't mine!!!

Terror as mall shark tank cracks | The Sun |News
  9. reef dummy

Vendor rant and rave

Rant: This is just my 2 cents and it's worth what you paid for it. Ordered 4 Acro's at 250.00 from Extreme Corals recently and am not happy. None of the corals looked like the picture on their website, one arrived completely white and bleached. That coral was around 60, he credited me 25. One...
  10. reef dummy

bulb/ballast?

I know this a very complicated question and varies upon what type of look you like, bluer, whiter, etc. etc, but I would like some input on your favorite combo's. I have googled all day and can't make up my mind on what to do. I have a 120g (4x2x2) and am going to buy 2 Lumen bright mini...
  11. reef dummy

Lumenarc and lumenbright ?'s

I currently have a 36" 2x250w mh Sunpod with Phoenix 14k bulbs running over my 120g. I'm going to upgrade to individual Lumenarc or Lumenbright reflectors with se 400w bulbs. I was hoping somebody experienced with these might chime in with their thoughts on these. I notice they have no glass...
  12. reef dummy

Bad Tang! Bad Hippo Tang!!!!

Well crap, my perfectly reef safe for at least 6 month hippo just decided one day he loves zoas. One week later I am officially wiped out of 300+ watermelon's, 10 bam bam orange's, 50+ ked's red's, and a few nuc green's. Just setup a frag tank to save whatever is left. Looks like my tank will be...
  13. reef dummy

Aqua c remora nano question??

I'm setting up a small frag/grow out setup and bought this skimmer used. It is a hang on back type but I was wondering if I can use it in sump as well. I don't want to risk overflow issues as this has happened in the past and what a pain!! I'll post pics of my cool, cheap, diy setup as soon as...
  14. reef dummy

Mantis shrimp ?

I was thinking about adding a mantis to my fuge that is about 15g's or so. I was wondering if the mantis will eat my pods and critters down there or will he leave them alone and feed on the different stuff I can throw at him. Also any other input on these cool creatures greatly appreciated.
  15. reef dummy

Hair algae and Ms. Wages

Several months ago I was dosing Ms. Wages to maintain calcium and Ph levels. It worked great and was inexpensive. I rarely had to check my levels as they remained very stable and my coral growth was excellent. I did have some hair algae at that time but not a lot. When I ran out of Ms. Wages I...
  16. reef dummy

Amazing reef tank

I know this has been posted before but for those who haven't seen this check it out, simply stunning. YouTube - Aquariums - David Saxby's Reef Aquarium (extended version)
  17. reef dummy

You know you're an addict when.....

You see an add like this while searching for corals on Craigslist for a good deal. You immediately think, man, I hope I am the first caller. You click the link, cant wait to see this anemone, cant wait. Then utter disappointment and the foolishness sets in. Oh well, maybe next time! CORAL CARPET
  18. reef dummy

Powder red tang

New species, check it out, nice looking fish. Fish Profile: Powder Red Tang by Tony Nista - Reefkeeping.com
  19. reef dummy

Mandarin quarantine?

So my 120 came down with the dreaded white spots. I totally tore down the whole tank last night and managed to capture and qt a powder brown, 4 bengaii's, 2 anthia's, a clownfish, a hippo, and mandarin. I started copper treatment right away. My 120 is fishless and I plan on leaving it that way...
  20. reef dummy

6000k?!!!

Wow, not even that great looking. Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Amphiprion mccullochi