Search results

1. D

Your favorite species

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. I could go on for pages about fish, coral or other livestock I have kept over the years. I'd have to say my favorite fish is a spotted hawk. They have a great personality and always seem to take an interest in what is going around inside and outside the tank. They love...
  2. D

Always nice to see new people here. Tell us a little bout your system or what your planning.
  3. D

Fluconzanole Treatment

I have never used Fluconzanole to treat bryopsis. Closest thing I have done is using Erythromycin for red slime algae. I don't doubt that Fluconzanole works. I'd say the big issue with any medication in a reef system is that it can effect livestock and such that you want. So be careful about...
  4. D

DianaKay's RSM 250

If you check Diana's profile she was last on here about 2016, so I doubt if you'll get a reply from her. I miss her also.
  5. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Congratulations on your 50th. That's a major milestone.
  6. D

Collecting Amphipods in the Long Island Sound

Good video. I didn't realize how rocky the Long Island beach was in your area. Many years ago, I'd collect similar stuff in southern New Jersey, but the back bay area there is all mud flats, so I'd get a lot of mud along with anything else collected. Also the mud was stinky and stuck to...
  7. D

Tank turned 49 this year

You fish and other livestock thank you for the Hors D'oeuvres.
  8. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Even if that happened, you'd still have the oldest tank.
  9. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Next you'll be installing reverse flow under gravel filters, like Paul B uses (grin, just teasing)
  10. D

Tank turned 49 this year

I see from your profile that your in MA. You might be able to collect similar mud along the CT or RI coast, or on Cape Cod. Although on the cape the water in Cape Cod Bay and the Atlantic Ocean is cold, so I'd look to collecting along Nantucket Sound or Pleasant Bay. Also, a lot of the cape is...
  11. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Hi Paul, I feel for you on this one. Living in Pennsylvania, we have a similar inspection system. It seems like no matter what happens you "need" something done, like new wiper blades, or a headlight alignment. I had a friend that got told he needed a headlight alignment, and his reply was "How...
  12. D

Tank turned 49 this year

I like the new fish additions to your tank. They are quite a bit different, and you really need to watch the tank for awhile to see many of them. I especially like the hawkfish. They always hang out on a rock or coral, and seem to keep an eye on everything your doing in and out of the tank.
  13. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Personally I hate speed bumps, but loosing control and taking out that much guardrail is beyond belief. I suspect this was a DUI, and hopefully the guy will be off the road for a long time.
  14. D

Please help me identify

If you post pictures of them, we can certainly try. Some corals do look quite a bit alike, so you may just get down to a general group.
  15. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Interesting way to get the fish out. I have a couple of cousins that are big into fly fishing. They mostly use barbless hooks, similar to what you made. The result is similar, they catch the fish without doing any damage to it. That is for most of the fish. A few end up in the frying pan for...
  16. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Ouch! LOL, loved it.
  17. D

Tank turned 49 this year

Hi Paul, you really kept some good notes. Everything is clear and legible. Also by the standards of the time, what you were doing wasn't much different from what others were doing. Back in the day SW systems were a lot of guesswork when something went wrong. I remember how a sudden tank collapse...
  18. D

Tank turned 49 this year

I'm impressed. Fine looking work, nice touch to functional details like full extension rails. Plus it looks fantastic.
  19. D

Tank turned 49 this year

I know the feeling there. I want something a bit different also. However I have found out over the years that most people looking at my tank are not reef keepers and have never seen those "common tangs or angelfish", so it's just as exotic to them as seeing some of the more rare or unusual fish...
  20. D

Tank turned 49 this year

I like your selection of fish. You have some very unusual and hard to keep ones in the mix. A;so a lot of fish that you'll seldom see and others that will be out a lot. The later group keep the tank from looking empty and give visitors something to see.