Search results

1. ldrhawke

Grain Alcohol?

Over priced black box. There are more effective approaches to denitrification.But, unless you have a new tank,very little live rock,or too many fish in your tank; you should not need a separate dentrification system. The tank should balance itself out and have zero nitrates with time. This...
  2. ldrhawke

An automatic top off resevoir solution

Melev, Question, which I think I know the answer to already, why don't you simply use a level control in your sump to directly feed the RO/DI water into it?
  3. ldrhawke

DIY Feeder

Coming from the premier DIY reef gadget tinkerer, I take that as a real compliment. Love your WEB site and the time you've taken to show how you do everything.
  4. ldrhawke

Grain Alcohol?

Added Info...... to revive the topic Now that you are using the NPR ( Nitrogen Phosphate Ranching process) and Hawke's super floss for nutrient export, and have gotten your tank nutrients low, you may need some added nutrients to help pop the colors out of the SPS. This is a result of my...
  5. ldrhawke

BareBottom Club

My statement assumed good flow and good mixing of particles on the bottom. If you have high enough flow it is difficult not to get good mixing on the bottom, but I guess you could have high flow without adequate bottom movement. I was speaking about my set up when I said I never siphon. I...
  6. ldrhawke

BareBottom Club

With a BB if you have enough energy input and water movement to keep the waste in suspension you can eliminate any siphoning being required.
  7. ldrhawke

Clown fighting

You would probably be breathing hard too if you were going through a sex change. They be sorting out who was going to be the dominate male, or female for the woman liber's. May just be love......:thumbup: I have a mated pair that beat the stuffings out of a third little clown for weeks. I...
  8. ldrhawke

theories of water changes.

Corals are often loaded with highly toxic chemicals that have been evolved over billions of years that you can't even test for and most have not even been catagoried by science. As corals fight for territory and/or survial they release them into the water. I think I'll continue with my water...
  9. ldrhawke

DIY Feeder

The only type of patent I could get is not very strong, if you could get one and it isn't already covered in another patent, and it would be easy to get around. The cost of a search, attorneys, and getting a patent is $20 to $30 grand. The maintenance cost to keep it current isn't cheap. I'd...
  10. ldrhawke

DIY Feeder

I built this years ago......as you can see it works great. All it is a discarded pill bottle with two holes drilled into the cap and the bottom cut off. I had some scrap plastic and I made a holder so it could be set on top of the tank and hang the bottle in without having the fish knocking it...
  11. ldrhawke

I don't think there is any question a reef tank with a fairly well balanced bio load and the right equipment can go along way to reduce the need for water changes.............I strive to maintain my tank the same way. My problem has always been catching and seeing a problem when a tank is slowly...
  12. ldrhawke

Well said......better to error on the safe side and do semi-weekly water changes, than run around like "chicken little" when the tank does start to crash.
  13. ldrhawke

Inclinations of a no-filter media system.

South Jersy......don't leave out the rats......:LOL:
  14. ldrhawke

Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person you will hear speakout against composting as the CEO of this company. My Company Yes, composting can be fun....and profitable. :rolleyes:
  15. ldrhawke

Fan Controller

I've been using this unit for over two years turning off and on a couple of fans to cool the tank. It does a great job of eliminating the needing for a refrigerant cooler and maintaining the temperature just at 80 F. Even with 650 watts of lighting on a 45 g tank. Single Stage Controller...
  16. ldrhawke

BareBottom Club

Another vote for BB...... I covered it with acrylic, just like the tank, but in black. Even wrasse can adapt.
  17. ldrhawke

To again quote Engs method, "Lee Chin Eng, initiated many of the concepts and techniques that are fundamental to successful reefkeeping. Mr. Eng lived near the ocean in Indonesia and used many of the materials that were readily available to him from this source. "Living stones," which have come...
  18. ldrhawke

Grain Alcohol?

I think we've got something going here, this is our secret.......:bigbounce: Fibrous Redfield Ratio Regulator is made by reacting ethylene glycol with either terephthalic acid or its methyl ester in the presence of an antimony catalyst. The reaction is carried out at high temperature and...
  19. ldrhawke

Grain Alcohol?

HawkeVit, sounds like a great idea......I could buy a gallon of cheap Vodka cut it with Vinegar, add a few drops of other amino acids, and put it into 64- 2 oz bottles that sell for $19.95 each. I'll make $1000.00 plus per gallon. :jumprope: Any ideas on what I can do to disguise and...
  20. ldrhawke

Grain Alcohol?

Additional response......With all of the tank water passing through the floss at a high rate, coupled with low rate dosing of Vodka directly, I beleive that risk is minimal. The filter floss continuely collects excess food and detrius, which contains unprocessed nitrates and phosphate, the risk...