Search results

1. MINIATUS

Leaving The Hobby

I know I ask about a nano tank, but that was a half hearted reason to stay.After much thought on the matter, I am leaving this wonderful hobby. With pressing matters at home my life seems to be taking a different road. Its been a wonderful ride and its been great to know many of you through...
  2. MINIATUS

Going Nano. Help Please

After much debating I have decided to set a small nano and tear down my 65 reef. What would be an ideal size and what if any of the equipment I have on the 65 could be used on the new nano. The list of equipment is listed in My signature. I have lots of rock and live sand. I was hoping to use...
  3. MINIATUS

How many T-5 lights for a 65

Ive been doing some research on T-5 lighting. Since Im not going to be getting SPS for My 3 ft 65 I was wondering what amount of lamps would work. Plans are for Zoos,acan and alot of LPS with Frogspawn torchs and hammers as the mainstay. maybe a clam or 2 somewhere down the road but thats not...
  4. MINIATUS

Killing a defenceless animal

Just needed to vent a bit. My other passion in life besides fish is ferrets. We have kept many over the years with most comming into our homes because others didnt want them. Yesterday one of our younsters got outside and wandered off. We put sign and left posters at every house in the...
  5. MINIATUS

Calibrating PH monitor

I have a pinpoint Ph monitor and noticed that its not reading. I got a 1 on the montior. How often do the need to be calibrated, or just soak them to clean off the tip. Any one, please. MINIATUS
  6. MINIATUS

Zoo Food

Curious to know what if any food you feed your Zoos? How often do you feed? Do you target feed or just let it float around the tank. Ive got ten more small Zoo frags comming and I need to know what you do. Thanks again Alan aka MINIATUS:thumbup: :whstlr:
  7. MINIATUS

7 cardinal sins of Reef Keeping

I found this on one of the Canadian sites that i am associated with. I found it to be a great list for beginners and Pros alike. MINIATUS http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17249
  8. MINIATUS

Clean Up Crew

I have to plan this ahead of time because it is sometimes hard to find a good source of these in Canada without paying a fortune. Witty says all crabs are evil but would they not be one of the better members for a cleaning crew. There must be other crabs other than blue or red legged crabs that...
  9. MINIATUS

Raising Calcium Levels

This sort of goes with the questions of dosing Kalk. My Calcium levels are at 370 ppm but should be at about 420-430 ppm. If kalk only keeps your levels in check what is the best way to raise the Calcium levels up to what is recommended, then start the kalk dosing. Now from what Ive read most...
  10. MINIATUS

Phosban reactor and Media

Just a quick question for the experts. Does it hurt to set it up when you first set up a tank.Should one still only use 1/3 the container as stated on the instruction or should more be used in the beginning. Whats everyone opinion on this. I alway like to ask questions on equipment or chemicals...
  11. MINIATUS

Megaflow surging

Does anyone know how to stop the surging sound and noise on the All-glass overflows and the megaflow kits. Water goes into the overflow then surges.Getting on the wifes nerves. I heard there are some mods that will fix the problem. Anyone please help. MINIATUS
  12. MINIATUS

MINIATUS's 65

All these years on Reef sites and Ive really never kept a running update on the tanks Ive had. Recently I down graded from a 90 to a 65. This is a 65 gal Allglass reefready setup with a oceanic black stand. Lighting is 2-250 watt Phoniex 14 lamps in Icecap pendants. Ballast are Icecap...
  13. MINIATUS

Hagen Phosphate Remover

I was in the lfs and noticed that Hagen now has a phasphate remover. Anyone heard anything about it. MINIATUS http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=114&PROD_ID=01015000010101
  14. MINIATUS

DIY Pendant hanger

After racking My brain on a hanger for My pendants, I came up with this little idea. Total cost was about $20 Canadian(no wisecracks).LOL MINIATUS
  15. MINIATUS

Life of a RO membrane

What is the average life of a membrane and what circumstance lengthen or shorten its life. MINIATUS:)
  16. MINIATUS

UV Sterilizers

I was at the local pet store and saw these UV units. Has anyone ever had any dealings with them.Just that the price was right. MINIATUS:) :whstlr: http://www.aa-aquarium.com/NewProduct2.php?id=156&line_id=&level=3
  17. MINIATUS

Best Milliporas for Reef Tank

Can someone suggest maybe which Milliporas are good for a SPs dominanted tank. As some have seen from my new setup most corals are Acros so something different would be nice. MINIATUS :hallo:
  18. MINIATUS

SE vs DE lighting.

To put it bluntly Im not happy with heat issues with My SE new lamps. I just picked up the new Icecap DE pendants but need to figure what would be the best bulb for them. Im curious about 14ks and would that eliminate running Actinics. 20 k is way to dull and blue. Or should I stick with...
  19. MINIATUS

Assorted Questions

I have a PH monitor and a Calcium monitor, does anyone know of a ALK monitor. ORP what exactly does this measure and how does it work. When To add carbon to a SPSs tank. Opinions on Purigen. What produces to use for feeding corals. Either store bought or home made. Im sure I will...
  20. MINIATUS

Cured rock and Cycle

I have a situation that I need some answer for. I need to pick up My corals that have been at a friends house for a few months. He needs the space and now I need to bring them home. I know I just setup My tank a week ago and the rock had been cycled and cooked for close to 8 weeks, will I have...