Search results

1. amc78cj7

My First Frag: Australian Duncan

Finally decided to go for it tonight. I bought this australian duncan about 6 months ago as a single polyp, and since then it has done very well, branching out into almost a dozen polyps. When it closed up tonight I looked and noticed each polyp had a hard skeleton stalk, and that newer polyps...
  2. amc78cj7

Fromia Starfish lost his legs

Fromia Starfish asexual reproduction in my tank We've had this orange fromia for about 6 months. Always very happy. About a week ago one of the legs looked like it was missing a little flesh. Then 2 days ago the starfish just quit moving and within a half a day he dropped 3 of his legs, each...
  3. amc78cj7

What kind of clown (with pics)

Picked up a pair of clowns for my new tank last weekend. The LFS said "True Perc"; but the salesman was not very experienced. Can anyone verify if this is a Perc or and occelaris? I'll be damned if they'll sit still long enough for me to count the spines on the dorsal fin... I don't really...
  4. amc78cj7

RBTA in reef tank

Just wanted to gain some opinions. I'm setting up a new 34 gallon tank which just finished cycling. Added a pair of clowns, but no corals yet. Would you have a rose bubble tip anemone in a mixed coral reef tank that is 24 x 18 x 18 dimensions? I've always been of the school that anemones and...
  5. amc78cj7

amc78cj7's custom cube build

Starting a new reef for the home. After long deliberation I decided against the AIO nanocubes and am spending my money with local craftsmen. For the record, this route was cheaper than going with a biocube/nanocube and gives me a custom setup supporting the local economy. The aquarium ...
  6. amc78cj7

Sunslighting T5HO

What can anyone tell me about these lights. Looks really inexpensive. I'm building a 24 x 18 x 18h reef tank and am looking for an inexpensive alternative to LED that would sustain LPS and softies until I can afford the LED. $89 including 5 T5HO bulbs seems really cheap... Suns 24 "compact...
  7. amc78cj7

amc78cj7's nano reef build: Made In Michigan

I'm starting a build thread now that the wheels are in motion. So you may say 'I thought you were looking at biocubes', or 'why not just buy at standard tank'? The answer is that I spent a lot of time reflecting on my last JBJ nanocube and my wish for 1) a true refuge, 2) more space for sand to...
  8. amc78cj7

Glass Thickness for custom aquarium

I'm having a 24 x 18 x 18 (33 gallon) custom glass aquarium built. What thickness of glass is recommended (Please don't say 1/2" because thicker is better; please give me solid rationale like 1/4" is acceptable or 3/16 is adequate, etc.) I don't want it to crack or bow, but also don't have...
  9. amc78cj7

Building my own AIO cube

Still floating around a few ideas on the next tank. Instead of buying a Biocube, what about the following idea: Buy a 45 gallon (24" x 24") marineland tank with the nice rounded trim. Build my own fuge on the back 5" of the tank. Use aquarium silicone and 0.220 thick acyrilic to build a...
  10. amc78cj7

Marineland or Biocube

I've priced the following out to be within $5 of each other. Which would you choose and why? Biocube HQI (150W) 29 gallon with stand or Marineland 25 gallon cube with solid wood stand, reef octopuss protein skimmer off back, powerhead, marineland 24" Reef LED light...
  11. amc78cj7

Hello again: Nano selection question

Hello everyone. It's been 2 years since I sold my 24ga. JBJ nanocube and the itch is back. I'm starting over from scratch and would like your opinions on selection of my next nano aquarium. I'd like to go either HQI or LED so I can nurture a greater diversity of species. I have priced...
  12. amc78cj7

Opinions on Clarity Plus acrylic 65 gallon

Sold my 24 ga. JBJ nano in the spring when we moved across state lines. Now looking for something used under 100 ga. to start use for both hard and softies. One guy has offered me the following with a price tag of $500. I've been reading a bit but would like opinions on the quality and price...
  13. amc78cj7

Planet Reef Stephen Nguyen

I know Planet Reef in St. Louis closed last year. I'm and old customer who's moved to Michigan and am looking to get in touch with Steve. If you're on here or if someone can forward an email I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Jeff Hanselman jeffrey.hanselman@sbcglobal.net
  14. amc78cj7

Michigan: Looking to start another reef tank - need drygoods

I sold the 28 gallon nano and all my corals this past spring when we moved from St. Louis to Southeast Michigan (Detroit/Ann Arbor) and am suffering withdrawl. Looking for the basics (tank, stand, HQ lighting) to get going again. Prefer 100 gallon or less and bowface or corner unit if...
  15. amc78cj7

Trimming Hair Algae

What would you do? I just noticed a small 2" rock with about 12 zoas on it that has a small patch of hair algae. Would you: 1) Pitch the entire rock, after all it's only $12 worth of Zoas 2) Remove the rock and try to clean off the algae then return to tank 3) Try to clean off the...
  16. amc78cj7

Hair Club for Men: I got hair algae

Started this weekend. About 1 week after converting the rear chambers of my 24g nano to a fuge my nitrates jumped to 40. A couple water changes and everything was back to normal but now I've got short (maybe 1/2") green hair algae growing on several large pieces of live rock. What should I do...
  17. amc78cj7

Just chucked the sponge filters......

Just chucked the sponge filters.Gone FUGE Pulled the sponge filters last night from the back of my 24g nanocube. Figured I never rinse them and I do weekly water changes so why bother with them. All that is left is the carbon and the phosban packs in the middle chamber. Is this advisable...
  18. amc78cj7

Should I go Viper MH on my JBJ nano?

Just wanted some opinions on converting my setup. I currently have a 24g JBJ nanocube with the 64W PC deluxe hood. Everything is great with the tank. But I have often considered the other types of corals I could have if I go to metal halide lamps. The real question I have surrounds the...
  19. amc78cj7

Jewel Box Mullusks

Any opinions or links to photos? My LFS has one for sale with nice orange tunicates attached. I just need a little more info and google surprisingly has little info beyond how the fishing industry doesn't like them on the hulls of boats.
  20. amc78cj7

Where'd he go?

I'm missing 1 of my 2 fish. Took a risk and left on vacation for 5 days this past week. Prior to leaving I fed the 2 small oscillaris clown fish twice a day for 3 days (usually they are fed every other day) as well as doing 2 water changes and checking parameters to ensure everything was...