Search results

1. amc78cj7

amc78cj7's nano reef build: Made In Michigan

One year anniversary pics of the tank
  2. amc78cj7

Couple of ID's needed, please!!

New pics posted from Tropicorium on the coral that I think is your second pic. Their previous pic had coloration more like yours.
  3. amc78cj7

Couple of ID's needed, please!!

First pic: Aptasia. Blast that sucker with some lemon juice. Second pic...a reputable shop near me has the exact livestock for sale that he got in as a shipment last week. He didn't list the name, but if you want to send him the pic he could probably help you out. Their website...
  4. amc78cj7

Can Duncans eat fish?

I would say "no". Fish probably died and decayed rapidly or was consumed by your CUC.
  5. amc78cj7

Breaking: NOAA announces the proposal to list 66 stony coral species as endangered

Re: Breaking: NOAA announces the proposal to list 66 stony coral species as endangere Fragging Frogspawn will become illegal... We have a species that is endangered in the wild, and we are prohibiting cultured propogation. Makes perfect sense. :smack:
  6. amc78cj7

My First Frag: Australian Duncan

So the new frag...the single polyp on the right side of the pic....it has a crack in the skeleton working it's way from the bottom up to the top. And has lost a triangle piece of skeleton along that fissure near the bottom. The head appears healthy otherwise and is extending it's tentacles...
  7. amc78cj7

My First Frag: Australian Duncan

Finally decided to go for it tonight. I bought this australian duncan about 6 months ago as a single polyp, and since then it has done very well, branching out into almost a dozen polyps. When it closed up tonight I looked and noticed each polyp had a hard skeleton stalk, and that newer polyps...
  8. amc78cj7

Fromia Starfish lost his legs

Day 8. The legs still appear alive, but they've buried themselves in the sandbed about 95%. I've decided to just leave them there rather than dig them out. Maybe it is part of the regeneration process. That or I'll never see him again :(
  9. amc78cj7

Day 5: His "second" leg is still attached, but only partially. He seems to have moved himself onto one of the other legs so that his body parts are all "lumped" together. Maybe he wants to die as one. Leave no man behind.
  10. amc78cj7

update: the 2-legged section is shedding his second leg. The tip of it broke off earlier as it was moving along the sandbed, and now it is moving back and forth slowly across one of the other individual legs so as to tear off the damaged limb. This is f'd up. I'll keep you posted tomorrow...
  11. amc78cj7

Day 4: All pieces are still alive and look healthy. The only one gone is the one that decayed rapidly in the refuge. Today we were gone for 5 hours. When we returned all 3 of the starfish pieces were buried in the sandbed. I did pull them out as I'm not sure if they intentionally buried...
  12. amc78cj7

Actually it was very easy to keep the fromia for 6 months...then... If it turns out to be fission / asexual reproduction it will be a great observation. Linkia should not be kept in captivity.
  13. amc78cj7

OK, learned first lesson. Leave the split starfish in the main display tank. The arm that got moved to the refuge has melted to mush within 12 hours of being placed in the refuge. The other 3 pieces seem to be doing fine in the main tank. Although I placed the main "chunk" which had the bulk...
  14. amc78cj7

I think we'll have to see how this goes. I've searched pretty extensively online about asexual reproduction of starfish, and although wiki says it happens, there seems to be a lot of doubters out there. I'd like to know if anyone has ever witnessed it first hand. The wiki article says that...
  15. amc78cj7

Fromia Starfish asexual reproduction in my tank We've had this orange fromia for about 6 months. Always very happy. About a week ago one of the legs looked like it was missing a little flesh. Then 2 days ago the starfish just quit moving and within a half a day he dropped 3 of his legs, each...
  16. amc78cj7

How long do you leave your lighting on?

Research question: How many hours of light do corals require to flourish? Independent variable: Temperature, flow, location Dependent variable: daily duration of light I don't think I need to test temperature as a dependent variable. That one has already been established as critical.
  17. amc78cj7

Has this light requirement ever been studied in isolation? The only areas of the earth that get 6 hours of light per day are north and south pole areas, but they are too cold to corals. To that point, they also get >12 hours of light depending on season, yet don't grow corals. Maybe it's...
  18. amc78cj7

Can I start stocking my tank?

What did you use to start your tank, and have you ever seen nitrates, ammonia or nitrites increase? If you used lots of livesand and lots of liverock then it may have cycled in a couple days; but if it was crushed coral and very little live rock then it may take a VERY long time to cycle. Also...
  19. amc78cj7

I didn't mean to imply attitude in my question. I simply observed consistent results of ~12 hours in this forum and am inquiring why I have good results with ~6 hours and what benefits I may see if I convert slowly (thanks for the recommendation) to a 12 hour cycle.
  20. amc78cj7

Good information. But why increase my time if the corals are doing fine with the current 6 hour lights? Just to pay higher energy bills?