Search results

1. OceanGirl

Can I replace a loud Outer Orbit cooling fan?

Hi folks, I've got a 48" Outer Orbit Pro light fixture, and when the lights come on I notice the cooling fan is awfully loud. Does anyone know if it's able to be replaced with a quieter one? If so, is there a recommended brand? Thanks!
  2. OceanGirl

Fish for my 150-gal FOWLR--what do you think?

Hey guys, I've got my 150-gal tank cycling now with some live rock, and was going to make it a reef tank, but after some serious thought I'm going to make it a FOWLR instead. Here's the fish I'm hoping would work for this tank--the tank dimensions are 48" long by 24" wide by 30" high...
  3. OceanGirl

Have a Lighting Idea--Advice Needed

Hi Guys, OK, I've got an idea I need some help with. I have a Profilux controller I'm going to use for my new tank--and I found these light sticks for it that simulate dawn, dusk, and lightning storms. I saw a demonstration of it in action. Needless to say I was very excited and decided...
  4. OceanGirl

Need ideas for an auto top off reservoir for a narrow space behind the tank

Hi there everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I'm hoping all you fine folks can help me out on something. I'm gathering together all my equipment for my tank and I'm trying to come up with something I can use to hold RO/DI water for an auto top off system. The problem is I have some...
  5. OceanGirl

Will these magnetic ballasts affect my controller?

Hi guys, Well, I'm starting to set up my equipment, and just today I put up this shelf for my metal halide ballasts, which was recommended to me by my electrician to keep air flowing around them so they'll stay cool. This shelf will be right behind the tank--it's pulled out from the wall...
  6. OceanGirl

Aquatic EcoSystems "Top Quality" bulkheads--anyone use 'em?

Hi there everyone, I've just about got all my gear together and I'm almost ready to do my plumbing. My tank is drilled for one 1.5" drain bulkhead and one 1" return. I'm just a bit nervous about the bulkheads--they seem like cheapo ones and I'm worried they'll leak. I was surfing around...
  7. OceanGirl

Got a question on fishless-cycling a new 20-gal FW tank..

:hallo: Hi there everyone! Well, I snuck another tank into the house. :scram: While I'm putting together my 150-gallon future reef, I decided to set up a 20 gallon freshwater tank so I could move some of the fish from my 10-gallon (my female platy has had 5 babies--and I need to separate the...
  8. OceanGirl

Should I use silicone grease on bulkhead gaskets?

:help: Hi there everyone, I was wondering whether or not I should put some silicone grease on the bulkhead gaskets when I'm ready to install them. I read somewhere that it might prolong the life of the gaskets. What do you guys think?
  9. OceanGirl

Made a mess with PVC cement..

Hi there guys, Well, I cemented together the PVC return pipe that I made, and I made a bit of a mess with the cement.:cursin: When I put on the purple primer some of it ran a little bit down the pipe, and there's a bit extra of the cement still on the pipe after I pushed it together; I tried to...
  10. OceanGirl

Got some overflow plumbing questions

:wave: Hi there everyone! Well, I did it! I'm just starting to figure out my plumbing and I decided I could make my very own return pipe. I went to the HD yesterday and got some PVC pipe, cutters, and a 90 degree threaded angle so I could screw in some Locline. Well, after some measuring and...
  11. OceanGirl

Does anyone know what feed pump to use for an H&S A150 skimmer?

Hi there everyone, I'm getting really excited now!!:whstlr: Jeff from Lifereef just called me about the custom sump/refugium I'm going to have made, and I'm hoping you fine folks here on RS can help me out. I have an H&S A150 protein skimmer that is going to be run in-sump due to space...
  12. OceanGirl

Looking for a good system pump for my 150-gallon

Hi there everyone, I'm in the process of getting all my gear together for my 150 gallon and I need some advice on a system pump. The tank has a large 3-sided overflow in the center back wall which is rated at 1200 gph. There is one drain 1.5", and one return at 1". There is a distance of...
  13. OceanGirl

Need Advice on my fish list for my 150 gallon..

Hi there everyone, and Happy Holidays to all! I've got a 150-gallon tank that measure 48" long by 24" wide by 30" high. It's going to be a reef tank with LPS corals and fish. I've been trying to come up with a good fish list, and I've changed it more times than I can count. I think I...
  14. OceanGirl

Happy Holidays from a saltwater newbie

:wave: Hi there everyone, and Happy Holidays to all! I'm just getting together my very first saltwater aquarium--which one day will be a future reef. I'm doing lots and lots and LOTS of reading and research on fish, equipment, you name it! My tank is 150 gallons, and I'm hoping to have it up...