Info on flower pot coral please?

kathywithbirds

Hi
Can anyone give me some info on flower pot coral? LFS has, I'm considering my 1st piece of coral, I can't find any info!
it's really pretty.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Kathy, Google Goniopora, they pack a wallop of a sting, may not be the coral for 5G or the beginner. You decide.

lcstorc

This is a very difficult coral to keep long term. The only one I know has done it is Woodstock. I'm sure there are others, but apparently they don't live very long in most tanks. I would definitely not get it as a first coral.
Mushrooms and leathers and zoanthids are generally good starter corals. They come in lots of shapes and colors so you should be able to find some that you like.

mps9506

I again don't recomend these corals. The flowerpot coral is a common name for either alevopora or gonipora corals. Neither of which tend to do well long term in the aquarium.

DrHank

Kathy have you considered a small soft coral. They are easy to keep, look pretty and don't require a lot of light. Mushrooms are also nice, grow well and are easy. You may want to check out a few on line merchants. They often tell you how difficult a specific coral is to keep and what the lighting and other requirements are. There are also many good books on corals that also give this type of information.

Five gallons isn't much water so I'd recommend only hardy corals with a low light requirement.

kathywithbirds

Woof. OK, not for me.
Got into the reading on them though, thanks for the links. Maybe I'm stickin' with the shrooms. I'll wait a while and get some nice green ones.

kathywithbirds

Maybe a kenya tree...fairly easy to keep, and not horribly demanding for light.

oo, that's pretty.
I figure I'm going to wait a bit, I got some nice "old" water from tim, who's got some nice corals. He offered me a flower pot too, he's got 2 of them adn he's trying to frag (a big piece, I think) and wants to see if it'll take it.

Sea Bass

I had my bout with the flower pot coral and it was a disaster. For what I know of them they prefer a nutrient rich enviroment. This equates to a high level of difficulty in a closed enviroment because of the Ammonia build up. I was also told they need an iron supplement.
I tried and failed and so have many others. I wouldnt recommend it but if you find the secret post it for all Id love to own one that thrives instead of slow death.