Pancho75

We're so glad to see you back here I'm raising a glass of tequila in you honor right now!

:pint:

Glad you finally got that fish killing monster out of your tank! :) Very cool specimen though! Show me a picture of your trap, please.
Thank you amigo, I’ll be drinking tequila in a few minutes. :D

We did not used a trap, we took the rocks out to uncover his tunnels and catch it with nets, old fashion way! We knew it was a pistol shrimp and not a mantis. :rocket:

Pancho75

It is been a while since I posted anything, my reef was quite okish, for a while until a had a combo of my messing with the DOS dosing system, totally screwing it up and a little health hiccup, I had vertigo, so the reef went unattended for a couple of months.

As you can imagine, I had a bleaching episode, a lost a lot of coral growth, lost my hammers and even a melanarus who decided to find a small gap in the net a jump to his death.

Now the reef is slowly coming back, corals are regaining growth and I added a very small puffer and a couple of sebae clownfish. As a side effect of my little messed up I am battling hair algae that I believe will take me a couple of months to win, I added 25 hermit crabs to help. The nitrates went up to 80ppm and the phosphates are crazy in 0.50ppm.

I believe everything is part of the reefer life, ups and downs, we just keep pounding!

Pancho75

Pulling hair algae is a pain in the butt, but it has been worthy, 1 month into the algae battle and it has receded by 60%. Nitrates dropped from 100 ppm to 50 ppm, also by doing an additional water change. Doing maintenance to the skimmer has helped as well.

And the main thing, I added a Morish Idol and a Yellow Eye White Tail Tang. I tried also a Longnose Buttefly but it was too shy and didn’t make it. I have kept the mirrors in the tank for 5 days now since the tangs are showing still some aggression.

Pancho75

Today was maintenance day and I decided it was time for a full makeover. Many corals had big holes and to fight the algae, it was necessary to trim and scratch everything.

This time I went with the island concept to try to appreciate the fish more. At the same time, I took out a fantastic storm filefish, he ate all the aiptasia in the tank and I don’t want him to die. Also the pigmy angel had to go as he was too aggressive and I am thinking to add a flame angel. The LFS will swap the fish and ton of coral in the following weeks/months, so I think this is a win.

I don’t know why RS is mot letting me post pictures. I’ll try again later.

Pancho75

The reset looks great IMO, however the stress seems to had been to much for the Morish Idol, during the day next to the reset he was eating and swimming happily and fat and suddenly the next morning he was dead.

I see no other reasons than stress, my blue tang was also stressed with some kind of skin issues but it is recovering fine.

Nevertheless I believe the reset was necessary. I am now focus on decreasing NO3 and PO4 that are at 50 and 0.8 ppm. I am reading a lot on carbon dosing and may start with vodka or vinegar apart of adding Phosguard.