Dottybacks

Tamra M

I have a BioCube 16g with a maroon clown and prevously a neon dottyback. I noticed that my dottyback was missing and purchaed an orchid dottyback (small one). After putting the little orchid into my tank, I then noticed that my Neon was in the return chamber of my tank. I have no idea how he got in there - and into the bottom section. It would require him going through 2 grated areas.

I used a screwdriver to open up an area of the grates between the upper and lower chamber of the Biocube intake chamber and he moved up to the top - actually goes between the upper and lower.

My dilemma: What will happen if I am able to catch the larger neon and put him back into the 16 gal tank? He has previously been known to be vary aggressive. He has had "jail visits" from the orchid dottyback for the past 5 days.

Ideas? Suggestions?
thanks!

DaveK

I'v got to agree with @Humblefish. Most species of dottybacks are very aggressive and trying to keep two in a small tank is looking for one of them to get beat up or killed. Best to sell, trade, or give away one of them.

You also have a long term issue with overcrowding. By the time you add live rock, and sand, that 16 gal tank is holding just over 10 gal or so of water. Putting more than one small fish in the systems is asking a lot of it. Depending on everything, you might want to consider a larger tank. Even so, you will need to go really large, about 75 gal or larger to possible get away with two dottybacks.