Surface film

I have a RSM 250. Recently, I started feeding ReefRoids and homemade phytoplankton. Now I have a brown film on the water's surface that skimming does not remove. I have a powerhead directed at the surface for more agitation, and I occasionally lift it with saran wrap, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DaveK

There are usually bacteria films. Usually a small power head with the flow directed across the surface will usually solve the problem. If you want something to directly remove the surface film you can consider an Eheim skim 350. It's a small surface skimmer with a small sponge in it to capture anything it skims off the surface, so you will need to clean it.

If your tank is very new, it's likely the tank is just going through a phase, and the problem will go away by itself in a month or so.

Thanks. The tank is about 8 years old, but I've changed the feeding habits to accommodate new corals. I will try redirecting the power head. Would the polishing filter cartridge help? My tank was not new so it didn't come with one, but I could try to find one.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Can you direct flow to your overflow and drop the water level in there to pull the film into it?

DaveK

Thanks. The tank is about 8 years old, but I've changed the feeding habits to accommodate new corals. I will try redirecting the power head. Would the polishing filter cartridge help? My tank was not new so it didn't come with one, but I could try to find one.

Water polishing filters are not usually something you want to use on the tank all the time. In the case of film on the water, I don't think it would do much at all. I'd say save you money.

I'll just keep playing around with the power head. They seem to like the new food, so I'm not ready to give up, but I do hate the film.