HELP! Sump level dropping

Shannon C

We have set up a aquaone 195 and had it filled on Saturday. It's now Thursday and the water level has dropped to the near minimum line in the sump.

It did rise as we put rock in but it seems to have dropped a lot over the past day or so. We did keep the lid open as our Ph levels were low and now they are corrected the water level is our main issue. From looking online it sounds like this is due the evaporation but we are unsure whether the tank will find its equilibrium or whether we need to intervene and add some water before our first water change. We are adding fish and more rock at the weekend so need to get this sorted beforehand.

I read about ato but we havent got the room for an additional container even though this does sound like it would solve our issue.

All we really need to know is will we need to add additional water on top of our water change?

Thank you in advance

r2d2

If water was at right level and you dont have a leak, then more probably is due to evaporation.
In that case you just have to add RO water to sump until you reach again correct level.
Thing is, you need to be very aware of that evap ratings cause you could have a larger problem in a short time if your pump gets dry.
If evaporation is too fast, you can use an automatic top off unit.

DaveK

Evaporation rates can be very high in SW systems. First make sure you don't have a leak someplace. Assuming you don't have a leak, you need to deal with the evaporation. This almost always requires some sort of automatic top off. I know this is not what you want to hear, but your going to need to work something out here. I use a Tunze Osmolulator on my system. This can be connected to a container external to the tank and stand. You should be able to place the top off water container near the tank to the side or in the back, depending upon the tank placement.