Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Where will you put it in the Sump?
‘If’ I get one, yes it will go in the sump as it’s got quiet a small foot print and may even fit in the return chamber were the entrance is. It’s only 12x18cm at the bottom.

I’ve just done a water change today and to be honest the 2 pieces of filter floss are doing a great job and for once the Deltec FR509 rhowaphos reactor didn’t block before I needed to change the rhowaphos out. It’s fed from the old green return hose and kept clogging from rubbish in the sump. That’s now stopped and the chambers are quiet clean.

So the reason for my possible change of mind is that firstly do I need it and it’s something else to breakdown and maintain, and also they are new so reliability etc.

It does however have very low micron filter paper so would likely make the water even clearer.

So..........

In fact, I think you should get one or @salty-zim (he’s got all the new kit!! Lol) and do a fitting and live testing review!

SPR

All is doing well with the tank and the only thing to report is I’ve started using the new Red Sea media filter cups holding filter wool instead of socks as a trial.

They are very good and effective but I haven’t made my mind up whether to use this method or go back to socks, just because washing the socks in the washing machine with a little bleach and then rinsing in another wash is so easy.

I think the water maybe a little clearer but I could be imagining this.

Anyway here’s a picture of a green coral with long wavy tentacles! Lol

7585975712_IMG_2707.JPG

SPR

I’ve been to the LFS today and unfortunately my restraint gave in, infact collapsed!

I’ll post some pictures when they have settled in but I’ve got a Mandarin (dragonet) and a Bicolour angel fish which is tiny and yellow/blue.

I also got another harlequin shrimp as the asterina starfish are still chomping their way through mainly the green star polyps.

The following shows were they have damaged an SPS on the bottom left.

7585975712_IMG_2664.JPG

SPR

At some point very shortly I’m going to have to break off the large overhanging part of this monti as it’s going to start overshadowing the corals below as it’s growing quiet quickly.

It’s also smothering other corals as it wins the battle for space.

I’ll frag it and place it lower down somewhere

7592050688_IMG_2756.JPG

SPR

Any more thoughts on the X-Filter?
I don't think I'm going to bother with it as its just something else to maintain and break down and the filter socks and additional filter wool in the left sump and return chamber are doing a fine job as they are.

Ive also gone back (over the weekend) to using filter socks rather than the new Red Sea filter media cartridges, as although they are very sturdy and work well, and I have no problem with them at all, its just so easy for me to clean the socks in a washer with bleach every 2-3 weeks and they come out spotless and are easy to change without constantly buying filter wool.

I can see why the X Filter is attractive, and who knows I might have changed my mind when they come back into stock shortly ! lol

SPR

You prefer the socks to the filter cups? You Luddite.

I do think the X Filter is a bit overpriced.
I think so yes, simply because the washing machine is just so easy, if you haven't tried it, try it. When the washers not in use I just but the socks in for a 1.5 hour cycle with a small squirt of bleach. Leave it and then put it on again for the same time with just water.

Apart from throwing them in and pushing a few buttons its effortless and they come out like new.

You don't really need 1.5 hour cycles twice, but thats what I know how to press !lol

I think the X Filter does look very good, but these days I like to keep things as simple as possible, which has worked well for me, and if it isn't broken..... I can see why people would want it though......

SPR

Shaun - Without going back through your thread (I'm a lazy bugger sometimes!) how many Tangs do you have, and how many Wrasse?
Yellow tang
Regal Tang
Kole eye Tang
Chevron Tang
Tomini Tang
Purple Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Freckle face Tang

Yellow wrasse
Lubbock’s fairy wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Linatus fairy wrasse
Labouts fairy wrasse
Flasher wrasse of some kind

I’m sure I’ve missed someone! Lol

Anyway why do you ask ?

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I'm only asking because I currently have three tangs and five wrasse, and I'm looking to add another tang and a wrasse. I'm just wondering about how many I can have in the tank, that's all :)
I will get a Yellow Wrasse, as I need another yellow fish to help the colour balance. I'm not sure which tang to get yet. It depends on what is available.

Reactions: SPR