Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

[QUOTE="Nobbygas, post: 1335936, member: 26294"

and so.......what did you get in exchange for it?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what you mean...!!! Lol

Patience!

Nobbygas

Patience?!?!?! I'm sat here strumming my fingers on the table in anticipation of seeing how your mesh cover assembly works......week after week after week.......and now you tell me to be patient !

Reactions: SPR

SPR

So do you really think I took something back to the shop and came home empty handed!!!! Lol

Despite my post above saying I was not buying anymore fish until the Red Sea cover arrives, I forgot about this as i entered the magical world of my refitted LFS!

As far as I recall this is my most expensive live stock purchase. So without further ado say hello to my new little friends...

Chevron Tang and Lineatus Fairy Wrasse, both of which I believe are a little bit special and hence the price tags of £165 and £99 respectively although I did get a bit of a discount.

The Chevron came from around Christmas Island which sounds a bit special on its own and he started feeding as soon as I fed the fish and fitted in straight away with all the others.

IMG_1499.JPGIMG_1500.JPGIMG_1501.JPGIMG_1509.JPGIMG_1510.JPGIMG_1514.JPG

And this is a picture of one of my favourite, friendly fishes. We call him Duggy (Starry Blenny) and he is a real character and we have had him for ages since he was really small.

IMG_1519.JPGIMG_1520.JPG

I wish Red Sea would hurry up with that new mesh cover!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Two very very nice fish. I love that Chevron. How many Tangs do you have now? I've got three, so I'm wondering just how many the tank can cope with.

SPR

I have ‘several’ Tangs as follows:

Regal/Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Chevron Tang
Kole Tang

I’m probably going to get a Blonde Naso Tang as well as they had 3 nice specimens just delivered which weren’t ready as yet.

Mine all get along fine without any issues, but I’ve been careful which ones as some like the Achilles Tang can cause problems so although they are nice I wouldn’t get one of those and they have got one in my LFS.

Just bare in mind with all the Tangs and other fish I have, the tank needs to be able to handle the bioload. I have an awful lot of liverock along with the 2 Brightwell Bricks in the sump as well as Purigen, NoPox and Rhowaphos and it all seems to be working in harmony. Basically just make sure as you add more fish your ready for any increase in nutrients as well.

The Regal/Blue Zoa eating Tang!, has grown quiet large in the space of around 16 months (probably because he ate all my Zoa’s!!) and I can see why the advice is to only keep them in the larger tanks as he is a very active swimmer and you wouldn’t want one in a small tank at all.

Apart from the Regal Tang who is very active, the others all seem to mind their own business just pecking at the live rock. The Yellow Tang I find to be stunning, but their all my favourites.

The biggest bully I have is the Coral Beauty who generally harasses any new fish introduced which is why I try and add 2 at a time to give them a bit more of a chance but the bullying doesn’t normally last long.

I actually feel a great deal of relief having taken the Anemone out. They are very nice until they start roaming, and I found myself watching the tank with increased dismay as it approached some of the corals as I new what it would do to them. Back to tranquility....

Nobbygas

At the moment I have a Yellow, Kole and a Tomini. There are no issues with any of them. I would love a Powder Blue tang, and in my LFS they have some very nice Brown tangs (or as they call them over here, Phillipine tangs) . I also have to get a Regal to keep Mini Me MKII happy!...

...but that Chevron.....

SPR

I was watching the tank last night and in particular the Blue Throat Triggers who were kicking sand up on the right hand side of the tank and basically trying to build a nest of sorts as best they could in an inch or so of sand bed.

There behaviour was erratic, dragging along the sand bed together, and I’ve seen them like this before when I thought they were spawning but never actually saw any eggs or anything.

I noticed that the female had a very large abdomen to start with and I’ve managed to get some before and after photos to see what you think.

So Before:
IMG_1603.JPGIMG_1601.JPGIMG_1596.JPGIMG_1589.JPGIMG_1584.JPG

And then After the event when things calmed down. And the male had gone on his way!

And in my eyes, the abdomen doesn’t look swollen anymore unless I’m imagining it.

IMG_1614.JPGIMG_1608.JPGIMG_1605.JPGIMG_1613.JPGIMG_1610.JPG

I can’t see any eggs but then again maybe they are buried and presumably the crabs and other critters would make light work of anything like this.

SPR

Very cool. Those fish are fantastic. And reef safe? Who knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well my two are reef safe and I’ve never had any issues with them damaging corals or anything, but they will move rocks around and take crabs and whatever else they want ‘tank surfing’ lol!

If they want to move something they just pick it up with their mouths and toss it somewhere else. And they can move some pretty big rocks, 2 inches in size or so.

From when I read up on the Blue Throat Triggers before I purchased them, they are one of the more reef safe and friendly of the Triggers and are great if you can get a male and female pair. Well until they start building a nest and throwing sand everywhere!

Oxylebius

Oooo, that is awesome. My clowns lay eggs often, the females abdomen gets larger right before laying eggs. And I've had my pair of peppermint shrimp and nassarius snails also lay eggs.

Triggers lay eggs in the sand. Look for the nest. You should be watching for any behavior guarding the eggs. And they might become aggressive and territorial around the nest site as well.

SPR

Oooo, that is awesome. My clowns lay eggs often, the females abdomen gets larger right before laying eggs. And I've had my pair of peppermint shrimp and nassarius snails also lay eggs.

Triggers lay eggs in the sand. Look for the nest. You should be watching for any behavior guarding the eggs. And they might become aggressive and territorial around the nest site as well.

Yes they have layed in the sand in the ‘nest’ they built but it’s not very deep do to the bottom of the tank.

They have been on guard since laying the eggs, but have only shown aggression on a few occasions to unwanted visitors as they are generally peaceful but ‘active’.
IMG_1655.JPGIMG_1648.JPGIMG_1653.JPGIMG_1647.JPGIMG_1652.JPG

SPR

My apologies Shaun, but you are the Apex Guru.......Do you have an Echo Dot (Alexa)? If so, you need to get Alexa to control your tank via voice commands to your Apex!

I must admit that my inner geek is screaming at me here. The ability to just say, "Alexa turn off my return pump" just sounds so cool.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whos-interested-in-beta-testing-my-amazon-alexa-apex-skill.342533/
In a word no.

I must admit it is just so 'tedious' pressing the switch in the power centre to turn it off! lol

I haven't connected the main return or rear circulation pumps to Apex as I currently see no benefit on our systems as they should always be on.

The other thing with voice commands is being misunderstood......

Anyway, take your inner geek and go get Apex. The fact you can see whats happening and control stuff you will wonder how you managed. I haven't yet connected the additional float switches for various levels, but i have all the wires etc ready and will do over Christmas

Its quiet interesting to watch some of the parameters. pH for example on test strips has always been around 8.2 constantly, probably because I test at a similar time. But if you watch the graphs it drops over night and then starts to rise again in the morning mainly do to CO2 levels from respiration etc.

Its been very cold in the UK so i have had the heating and fire on in the room, and the lack of ventilation has made the pH drop even lower to around 7.65 one morning. Both drops were on days when the fire had been on and no windows open and I believe the air has higher than normal CO2 saturation which in turn goes through the skimmer and into the tank water. Its quiet interesting, or worrying, what you can see!

So let your 'inner geek' consider that and what else you can do with it lol!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

We have a wood burner in the living room. Last Sunday we had heavy snow, so the fire was lit around midday and we had it going until about 10pm. Around about 8pm or so, the skimmer went mad (as it does). I felt that this had to be because of the fire going, and the reduction in Co2 in the living room, even though we tend to tilt open a window every now and again to allow fresh air in.
It's one thing to see the drop/rise in pH levels, but what can you do about it? Doesn't it just add to the stress levels? At the moment, I don't see it, so don't worry about it !
I reckon if I were to say to She Who Casts No Shadow, "no my sweetness and light. We cannot start the fire on this bitterly cold day because it will reduce the pH level in the aquarium" I think I may find myself in the local hospital having my Big Bertha driver removed from my backside !

PS - I have an inner geek that is always talking to me. I work in IT !

SPR

We have a wood burner in the living room. Last Sunday we had heavy snow, so the fire was lit around midday and we had it going until about 10pm. Around about 8pm or so, the skimmer went mad (as it does). I felt that this had to be because of the fire going, and the reduction in Co2 in the living room, even though we tend to tilt open a window every now and again to allow fresh air in.
It's one thing to see the drop/rise in pH levels, but what can you do about it? Doesn't it just add to the stress levels? At the moment, I don't see it, so don't worry about it !
I reckon if I were to say to She Who Casts No Shadow, "no my sweetness and light. We cannot start the fire on this bitterly cold day because it will reduce the pH level in the aquarium" I think I may find myself in the local hospital having my Big Bertha driver removed from my backside !

PS - I have an inner geek that is always talking to me. I work in IT !

Yes it does add to your stress levels because you can see it and then you worry about it !lol Ive been reading up on pH buffers for the last 3 days, but have decided everything looks fine. Before I hardly ever tested as it was always 8.2 so on that basis I'll assume computer error and ignore it. But its very interesting how something like having a fire on affects things.

Hilarious!! lol I think you should - think of your fishyys!​

SPR

So a few days ago (Saturday) the golf courses were covered in snow here in the U.K. so I had to occupy myself elsewhere........

So these two are ‘probably’ my final large fish purchase as I’m getting pretty full but I couldn’t resist their sweet fishy charms

Freckle Face Tang and Blonde Naso Tang

The Freckle Face (and have you ever seen such a sweet little face lol!) came from the same customers tank as my Chevron Tang so they already know each other so to speak.

The Freckle Face is one of the nicest and most pleasant fellows I have and is very active, so much so it’s difficult to get a decent photo of him!

IMG_1564.JPGIMG_1638.JPGIMG_1639.JPGIMG_1599.JPGIMG_1572.JPGIMG_1563.JPG

And here is a photo of a coral that’s grown quiet well

IMG_1621.JPG