250 to add to 130D.

MissStress

Picked up a used original 250. Pretty grimy, evidence of algae growth.
Some scratches in front glass. Any hope? Is the front glass tempered?
Will post pics soon.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
I can confirm the glass is not tempered, even then, scratches can be difficult depending on the severity.

Good luck.

DaveK

First clean the tank really well. especially over the scratches. Often algae grow in them making them look much worse than they are.

If the scratches are on the inside of the tank, they usually show much less once you fill the tank.

It's almost impossible to buff them out, even using cerium oxide, Basically, if the scratch will catch a fingernail, it;s too deep to buff out.

Pat24601

AS DaveK implied, I think I’d probably fill it up with water (even tap water) and see how visible the scratches are. My tank has quite a few scratches from my boys growing up with the tank. The ones on the inside aren’t even visible once it has water in it. The ones on the outside are pretty big and I can see them if I look, but I’m the only one that ever even notices them.

MissStress

First clean the tank really well. especially over the scratches. Often algae grow in them making them look much worse than they are.

If the scratches are on the inside of the tank, they usually show much less once you fill the tank.

It's almost impossible to buff them out, even using cerium oxide, Basically, if the scratch will catch a fingernail, it;s too deep to buff out.

There's only one scratch I can feel with my fingernail. Will see how things look during leak test.

MissStress

AS DaveK implied, I think I’d probably fill it up with water (even tap water) and see how visible the scratches are. My tank has quite a few scratches from my boys growing up with the tank. The ones on the inside aren’t even visible once it has water in it. The ones on the outside are pretty big and I can see them if I look, but I’m the only one that ever even notices them.

Will see how things look during the leak test. Thanks Pat!

MissStress

So once the tank was filled, I could only see one scratch, if I looked hard. I can live with that.
Was cycling the tank with the live rock I have been growing for months, and a couple nights ago, when I wasn't at home, one of the bulkhead fittings came loose for the pump and the pump spewed water on the front, right underside hood.
Things went zoich, black smoke, hubby unplugged tank but it had a layer of black petroleum scum on top of the water that smelled like burnt electronics. Manually skimmed as best I could, drained, rinsed, wiped and repeated. Currently drained.. All equipment out and being cleaned.
Have the hood apart now and my son is going through electrical as I couldn't see anything obvious. Anyone else had an electrical failure and how do you ensure the tank is no longer contaminated? Exxon Valdez here.

Pat24601

So once the tank was filled, I could only see one scratch, if I looked hard. I can live with that.
Was cycling the tank with the live rock I have been growing for months, and a couple nights ago, when I wasn't at home, one of the bulkhead fittings came loose for the pump and the pump spewed water on the front, right underside hood.
Things went zoich, black smoke, hubby unplugged tank but it had a layer of black petroleum scum on top of the water that smelled like burnt electronics. Manually skimmed as best I could, drained, rinsed, wiped and repeated. Currently drained.. All equipment out and being cleaned.
Have the hood apart now and my son is going through electrical as I couldn't see anything obvious. Anyone else had an electrical failure and how do you ensure the tank is no longer contaminated? Exxon Valdez here.

Wow, that’s terrible! I’d think that really shouldn’t happen.

I’m not sure how to handle. Can you basically replace the water?