Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

My nitrates are around 12ppm which although are not to bad they are higher than I want, so I've purchased the Brightwell Xport NO3 Brick to see if, and how it works. The write up seems very good, but I am aware of the various comments on forums about these but I shall see what happens.

I've seeded it overnight with Microbacter7 which I've never tried before, and put it into my sump on the left hand side as per the photo below. When it was soaking it had already developed white slimy bacterial flocks so there is certainly some in the bottle!

I'm running NoPox already so that will be a carbon source for the bacteria.

IMG_0906.JPG

Nobbygas

It is interesting that we have both ended up at the same point, but we came from different directions. For me, I started with the Marine Pure and I've moved onto Nopox as well, and you started with Nopox and now you have the additional block as well! The block is a different brand but basically the same. It's a learning game that's for sure

Reactions: SPR

Fireshrimp1968

Here we are week 2 of Big Red full of water and a bottle of Microbacter 7 to kick her off so I could add fish as my qt tank decided it was too old and split a seam making one heck of a mess. Luckily we were home at the time and managed to save everything. Anyway first week was a course of Diatoms which have mostly burned out now with the help of a water change and the addition of some really hungry Mexican Turbo Snails. Glad to say that my very young RSM S 650 is running very stable parameters.

SPR

I tested my nitrates after a few days with the NO3 brick and they are still around 12-16ppm so although I know it's very early days i just thought I would check levels out. Patience is not my thing!

I basically want to feed the fish more primarily to stop the Regal Tank eating my Zoa's! He's just finished off 2 of my first colonies the little sh..!!

I've tried Purigen before just in the 100ml bag, and having read about it again, and researched as much as I can about it and carbon dosing (nopox in my case), I'm going to give it ago to try and remove some of the extra 'organics' before they turn into Nitrate. I've purchased the Seachem 'The Bag', which is a bag surprisingly enough, and 500 ml of purigen and I've added half to the bag and put it into the sump. So we shall see what happens with the Nitrate levels from a combination of angles.

The Nitrate is not causing any major issues at the moment but I just want to bring them down under my control. in summary I'm currently running Rhowaphos for Phosphate control and now a combination of NoPOx and Purigen for Nitrate control (hopefully!)

Nobbygas

It could take a few weeks before you get to see any results from the Brick. Patience Padawan, patience!
I've managed to get my Nitrates down from 30ppm to 7ppm (at the last test). First I completed three water changes of about 75 litres a go. Now it's up to the NOPOX and Marine Pure block to do the rest.

SPR

I decided yesterday it was time to change my main pump over as I purchased a spare one for back up. The original is out of warranty and the new one is still under warranty so I wanted to make sure the new one works ok rather than wait for emergency and find out it didn't work! So what I intend to do is run them each for 6 months ish and then swap them over, clean etc.

Anyway I got up this morning to find the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer going haywire. Those of you who have the NYOS will now what I mean next.... So i started to turn the skimmer tube 'open' to increase the flow through the skimmer (and reduce the water height) and it didn't do anything!

Now having forgotten how the NYOS is built up, I decided i had better take it to bits to see if anything was blocked. So i wrestled the wire out of my 'tangled' mass of wires and removed the NYOS. One thing is for sure its not as beautiful looking as when I put it in!

Anyway there was nothing wrong with it so I just cleaned it as best I could and put it back in, and its up and running fine again.

So you are asking what was the problem then. Well if you look at the photo below you will see at the bottom of the long tube there is a hole for the water to flow through. Now if you turn it to far it actually completely closes the hole and stays closed as the hole rotates all the way around the back of the tube until it comes back around again and then back to open. So that was the reason it had water rushing out of the top as the outlet was closed even though I was trying to open it.

I think the probable cause of the over skimming was something in the new pump probably from the manufacturing process affecting the water tension and just sent the skimmer crazy.

And those of you who have the NYOS, can you think of anyway to clean the gunk out at the bottom of the long tube ? I couldn't see anyway to get inside the tube although its not watertight and the caps didn't feel like they wanted to move ?

IMG_0944.JPGIMG_0947.JPGIMG_0948.JPG

Nobbygas

Could the problem have been that the new pump was actually working well, where the old pump was degraded to a certain extent by A. being older, B. having some debris inside somwehere, and could this have changed the water level in your sump, causing the NYOS to over-react?

SPR

Could the problem have been that the new pump was actually working well, where the old pump was degraded to a certain extent by A. being older, B. having some debris inside somwehere, and could this have changed the water level in your sump, causing the NYOS to over-react?
Who knows! lol

The old pump wasn't dirty as i cleaned it a few months ago (for first time!) but I know the skimmers can be sensitive (like in the run in period) and the only thing i changed was the pump

Nobbygas

To clean the NYOS tube, have a look at the Eheim range of cleaning brushes. They come in all shapes and sizes, and usually have a bendy wire core than you can, well, bend, and then slosh it up and down in the tube to clean it.

SPR

To clean the NYOS tube, have a look at the Eheim range of cleaning brushes. They come in all shapes and sizes, and usually have a bendy wire core than you can, well, bend, and then slosh it up and down in the tube to clean it.
I can't see were you get into the tube as it's sealed at both ends? If I can get in it I can use cleaning brush - which I'll have a look at as well.

Nobbygas

How about this....See the bit in bold.

"The NYOS® Quantum® skimmer can be completely disassembled for maintenance, cleaning and servicing. This is done in the order of the steps described below. Step 1: Remove the device from the filter tank • Unplug it. • Remove the device from the water and empty it. Step 2: Disassemble the skimmer • Remove skimmer cup and air tube. Remove the venturi system. • Open the four screws on the skimmer body and remove them. • As needed, pull lightly on the water level control tube and remove the rubber seal on the lower end. Now, remove the tube completely. • As needed, remove the air adjustment screw and the black screw beneath the sound absorber. Then, you are ready to remove and dismantle the sound absorber including its supports.
http://www.nyos.info/downloads/Anleitung_Quantum_A5_FINAL.pdf

If you look on Page 20, the spare parts page, you'll see a rubber ring at the bottom of the water tube. This implies that it does come off.

SPR

How about this....See the bit in bold.

"The NYOS® Quantum® skimmer can be completely disassembled for maintenance, cleaning and servicing. This is done in the order of the steps described below. Step 1: Remove the device from the filter tank • Unplug it. • Remove the device from the water and empty it. Step 2: Disassemble the skimmer • Remove skimmer cup and air tube. Remove the venturi system. • Open the four screws on the skimmer body and remove them. • As needed, pull lightly on the water level control tube and remove the rubber seal on the lower end. Now, remove the tube completely. • As needed, remove the air adjustment screw and the black screw beneath the sound absorber. Then, you are ready to remove and dismantle the sound absorber including its supports.
http://www.nyos.info/downloads/Anleitung_Quantum_A5_FINAL.pdf

If you look on Page 20, the spare parts page, you'll see a rubber ring at the bottom of the water tube. This implies that it does come off.
Yes I read that as well. I couldn't see a rubber ring on the bottom, although to be fair I didn't look much for one at the time I was cleaning it. I'll have a proper look when I clean it again, in a years time!!

SPR

My Blue Throat Trigger pair have decided they want to build there nest somewhere under the back of my tank so have decided the best way to do it is to carry out a major excavation of sand while I wasn't looking!

I went into the room and the water was just full of sand!

a43f7b3533e189934394b0b578aabf46.jpg
b1565f20c7e7ac3aaeb4247e2c4d560c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

The large Elegance Coral in the middle of my tank is no more. I had also purchased a smaller one and that has also gone.

To try and finally get rid of hair algea, several months ago I dosed Vibrant liquid for 2 weeks (12ml once and then 12ml after 2 weeks, so not much), and to be fair the hair algea disappeared completely and the tank looked stunning.

I originally only dosed it twice at 12ml. Within a few minutes of adding the liquid, the large Elegance coral started to recede and then after 6-7 days was back to normal. After 14 days I added another 12ml and again the large Elegance receded and again after 6-7 days it came back. The smaller one did not and faded away.

The hair algea was gone so I stopped dosing until about 4 weeks ago when i decided the tank looked so good I would just use as a maintenance dose so I added another 12 ml. Again the Elegance receded but this time never recovered and after around 4 weeks is gone. None of the other corals seemed to have a problem but I don't know this for sure.

IMG_0683.JPG

Not well
IMG_0943.JPG

This is the smaller one before and after - middle left

IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG
Just something else that I've now realised, most of the corals I have, I've ordered online and grown them from small frags and virtually all have thrived. The main LFS were I've got most of my fish from, I've purchased I guess about 6-7 established and expensive (£75-95) Coral colonies, and it hit me last week that most have only lasted a few months before they died.

I'm beginning to wonder if the larger and older colonies react badly to being moved or is there something else at play, because I don't have any issues with the online supplier. There is nothing wrong with my water albeit slightly raised Nitrate (12ppm) but I'm working on that.

As a matter of interest the large Elegance Coral was from another smaller LFS that I originally used and I grew this over around 16 months to a beautiful specimen. On this basis I'm getting all my new colonies from there.

Anyway enough of the bad news, I have just got a new one from my original supplier along with a starfish that took my eye. Oh and I have my eye on a White Sea anemone that is just screaming at me to bring him home!!
IMG_0961.JPGIMG_0962.JPG

Last edited: