I need advice ASAP

Squatch XXL

I don't normally do this, but I am not normally in a pinch.
I bought a fish. A Foxface Rabbitfish. It was about 4 1/2" long. It was healthy, but it died SOMEWHERE in my rockwork, and I cannot find it.

I have 30ish hermit crabs.

I cannot see the dead fish, but know that IF it is where I think, I will need to remove EVERY single rock from my tank. This includes EVERY coral. I guarantee that this shock will cause a mini cycle and death of some corals.

Do I let the fish rot or do I get it out?

I know others have been in similar spots.....what did you do and what was the outcome?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had E-frigging-nuff of our local brick and mortar stores. I will be ordering my livestock from the internet in the future.....They will be in better shape than the shit these stores sell.

Specifically: ****EDITED BUSINESS NAME****. Spend your money elsewhere. This used to be a quality company, but it is just another crap distributor at this juncture

Should I have q-tank'd the fish. Yes. I am aware. If that is your only advice I would really prefer to not hear it. I am looking for real experience with doing dumb shit and how you may have fixed it.

*EDIT*

Here are my options in my order of work and simplicity:

a) Do nothing
b) q tank corals and wait for the tank to recycle
c) q tank corals and tear entire tank apart
d) 280 grain .44 magnum right to the center of the tank

**I edited out the name of the business. I don't care to get my money back or even to visit them again. I have had 100% poor experiences with them over the past 5 years. Ask me about it. They are a MAJOR retailer who does online and retail. I will gladly divulge their business name to anyone who wants to know.

Last edited:

SPR

Hi Squatch and sorry to hear that.

I've been fortunate in that 'so far' I've been able to remove any casualties, but I've also seen how the hermit crabs have circled around them ready to do their work. I lost a 4-5 inch Naso Tang and the crabs were waiting to finish him before his last breaths before I removed him.

If or when it happens in my tank (650 litres) I won't be taking anything to pieces as that would be a nightmare.

From what I've seen of my hermits I would guess they will make short work of pretty much anything that dies in the tank, but this would also depend on the actual water volume you have and possible 'spikes' in parameters.

You could always add a few more hermits just to be sure...

Hope all goes well.

DaveK

Usually the other livestock will quickly eat any fish that dies. I hate to count the number of "mysterious disappearances" I have had over the years. I would just leave things alone. You'll likely do more harm than good tearing everything apart. Do monitor ammonia and nitrite to make sure your tank is not having a problem there. Also, keep checking for the missing fish. You might find if hiding or in the sump or on the floor.

Above all don't panic.

mr_tap_water

sorry to hear about your loss .
With the amount of hermit crabs you have and no doubt that you have bristle worms hiding somewhere in your system between them should be able to finish him off just keep an eye on your NO3 if this don't rise then you should be Safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I agree with the option to do nothing. I've had many relatively large 6"+ fish disappear, and never had any water quality trouble as a result. Dead fish are just fish food.

-Jeff