RSM-S pumps on wavemaker (apex controller)

sjordan

Was wondering if anyone in here is using an Apex Aquacontroller (or other controller) and putting there 3 pumps on it for random on/off or wavemaking? I have heard from my LFS that the pumps in the MAX-S series should be fine for doing this, but wanted to get the opinion of others.

modulok

I am curious as well.

One thing I thought about was the water level in the tank when using the pumps randomly.

Choff

Same, been thinking about this but was worried if the pumps can handle it.

I am actually going to be adding an mp40 for additional flow and was just going to use that.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

sjordan

OK I just got off the phone with redseamax support. They told me that the three pumps will be fine on a aquacontroller for doing random on/off. They did say not to do anything like pulsing on/off

modulok

What is considered pulsing? On/off each second? Or could you do On for 30secs, off for 5secs.

Still, I would want to fully test the water level in the pump area while doing this. It may affect the overall level, and cause the overflow pipe to gurgle.

Choff

Oh thanks for making that call!
It makes sense, but I think I was looking more for random pulsing. Like mod said I know that will impact the drain volume.

The Vortech will take care of it, I'm not going to mess with those heads. Maybe someday if u ever have to replace one I will find something that will pulse

Sent using Tapatalk 2

emvanburen

Aren't these pumps set up to suck water from a fitting through the back wall and return it through another fitting? If so how would on off affect overflow performance? I too am looking for more controllable flow options. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPR

You shouldn't need any additional flow at all. Red Sea have taken care of all that in the design

The rear circulation pumps are 2150 lph each and when on full power they create lots of flow along with the main return pipe on the right hand side all of which flow directly back into the tank.

The rear pumps suck water into the rear chamber through round vents and they pump it back out of each return nozzle and you can adjust all of these to point exactly were you want more flow.

Also if you start pulsing on and off, for any length of time, think you might affect the down flow pipe/rate