HELP! Flukes?

eric w

Any ideas. I have been treating my dt for the past week with prazzi. Doesn't seem to be working..it appears to look like hairs..
a017880f608eb3b3d16390049dbf2077.jpg
c8745853c8daa2dfd6a95bacb18ab30f.jpg
ae9c1fa43f3952f8ec74c9e6a8a39978.jpg
de6e02e95323b6f34167879a058abd1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

In your original post the disease sure did look like SW ick. See this thread - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/ich-i-dont-think-it-is.97598/

In these newer photos it doesn't.

This is one disease I haven't seen on SW fish before, but that doesn't mean you don't have a problem. It does look like anchor worms, like we see on FW fish, especially gold fish. Using that as a starting point, I did find some pages on similar SW parasites.

I must admit that I'm "flying blind" here, so I'm going to give you the references I found and you can check them out and see what you think. All these threads are offsite.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/disease.html - see the section on worm infestations. Note how the flukes seem larger than what is affecting your fish. The trematodes look a bit different also, but I'd call this a "maybe". Further down the page we see some examples of copepod and isopod infections. These don't seen to be an exact match either, another "maybe".

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dips_baths.htm - this is a link to using various dips or baths in the treatment of fish diseases. You may find some treatment info here.

Obviously the current treatment your using is not working. My best guess here would be to try different methods starting with the ones that would tend to create the least problems for the fish.

A freshwater dip - use FW and match temp and pH. Put the fish in it for about 10 min. but remove it right away if it has any big problems. This is unlikely to be a cure, but it might get some of the parasites to drop off, buying you time.

For other treatments your going to need a quarantine tank. No other way to do it.

I'd next try copper or formalin treatments, but don't do both at the same time. I will repeat that you must use a quarantine tank, no exceptions. Be sure to calculate the tank volume exactly, and treat exactly according to the directions. Both of these are very toxic if not used correctly.

As I pointed out before, but I want to make this clear, this is a best guess on my part, and maybe someone else has much better ideas.

Squatch XXL

Tangs are like magnets for infections like this. If nothing else, it seems to be some sort of worm. I would quarantine the fish and treat with copper products as if Ich. Give the DT 45-90 days without fish to possibly kill whatever it is.....I have had great luck with owning only 1 fish, so I don't know much about these other than what @DaveK posts. He knows what he is talking about at all times, and if he does not know what this is it is fairly serious. I wonder if @Oxylebius knows what this might be?

I am curious myself now, because that looks irritating both to the viewer and the fish.

Good luck!