Equipment wish list

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Hey All,

A lot has changed with equipment since I was last doing this. I am creating my equipment wish list and I am hoping to get some people to weigh in based on their experiences...

Sump- I'm building a sump out of a 20H tank. I am going to partition it with some flexibility, but it's going to have a 9x12 skimmer/intake compartment, an 8" refugium compartment in the middle, and a 6" return chamber (dimensions are approx.)

Skimmers- For now, I am going to try to mod my Aqua C Remora to work like an Urchin, since it leaks. Ultimately, this will be upgraded. Looking at a Bubble Magus Curve 5 or Reef Octopus Classic 110 (or something else in the sub $200 range???)

Return pump- Quiet One Pro 3000

Overflow- I am still searching desperately to find a 36x18x24 reef ready 65g tank. There's an Aqueon version that no supplier in my area stocks, and all of the other brands are insanely expensive. I have one LFS looking into DSA since they are starting production back up. Plan B is a Lifereef external overflow added to the 40B that I already have. I don't like plan B just bc I don't really like the idea of an external, and the Lifereef with silencer is $150. I have seen what people have paid for the 65's, and its been anywhere between $180 and $250- a very small difference in the grand scheme of things.

ATO- I'm leaning towards the JBJ ATO controller after reading reviews on the sensor based (Hydor and Innovative Marine) models. It has a dual float switch design. And for a peristaltic pump to run the RO water thru my kalkwasser reactor, BRS has their pump for $80, and readily available replacement tubes for $12. The BRS seems to be the only one with replacement tubes for a decent price.

Only thing purchased so far is the tank for the sump (thanks to Petco's $1/gallon sale). I'll likely get impatient and start buying the rest over the next week or so... :p

DaveK

Here are my thoughts on your equipment selection.

Using a 20H is ok, but consider where you will place the sump. If it's under your tank that 18 inch height can make removing your skimmer for cleaning or maintenance very difficult or impossible.

On sump design. Make sure your return area and skimmer areas are large enough to accommodate modifications and upgrades. It's a real mess to need to do a major sump modification because your new return pump or skimmer doesn't fit by 1/4". I would also recommend that you construct the refugium using another tank and feed it from the main return pump. Placing a refugium section between the skimmer area and return pump area isn't the best way to go because the refugium can easily turn into a major dirt trap, and it's almost impossible to clean with out a major disruption to your system.

Your first choice for a tank should be a reef ready one. Most of your LFS should be able to order what you want. You may need to wait a week or so, but consider that setting up a reef system is a long process. A little more time waiting will not hurt anything. As for cost, even those "expensive" tanks are not that bad when you consider the total cost of the system. The tank is often the least expensive part. It's also the thing that is the most difficult to change later.

The Quiet One Pro 3000 isn't a bad pump, but I think you can do a lot better. Consider one of the controllable DC pumps. They can be adjusted for flow and for feeding and they consume about half the power. Here is one example (offsite) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQX5CEW/?tag=reefsanc-20 Still, shop around. You might find a better product or price.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Here are my thoughts on your equipment selection.

Using a 20H is ok, but consider where you will place the sump. If it's under your tank that 18 inch height can make removing your skimmer for cleaning or maintenance very difficult or impossible.

On sump design. Make sure your return area and skimmer areas are large enough to accommodate modifications and upgrades. It's a real mess to need to do a major sump modification because your new return pump or skimmer doesn't fit by 1/4". I would also recommend that you construct the refugium using another tank and feed it from the main return pump. Placing a refugium section between the skimmer area and return pump area isn't the best way to go because the refugium can easily turn into a major dirt trap, and it's almost impossible to clean with out a major disruption to your system.

Your first choice for a tank should be a reef ready one. Most of your LFS should be able to order what you want. You may need to wait a week or so, but consider that setting up a reef system is a long process. A little more time waiting will not hurt anything. As for cost, even those "expensive" tanks are not that bad when you consider the total cost of the system. The tank is often the least expensive part. It's also the thing that is the most difficult to change later.

The Quiet One Pro 3000 isn't a bad pump, but I think you can do a lot better. Consider one of the controllable DC pumps. They can be adjusted for flow and for feeding and they consume about half the power. Here is one example (offsite) - https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Marine-Controllable-Water-Pump/dp/B00SQX5CEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1475318223&sr=1-1&keywords=dc+aquarium+pump&th=1 Still, shop around. You might find a better product or price.
Thanks Dave!

I have put a lot of thought into several of the options, and I have been referencing the things I have done/had in the past as a guide for what I liked and didn't like. Clearance height was a big issue, and I made sure that I will have 11" above the top of the sump before I hit the underside of the stand, and I only lose 1" to the lip of the opening.

Skimmer and pump size were also factored in. Every pump option (I actually found the Jebao pumps last night after the OP) that is in the size range for what I need is less than the 6x11.5" space I will give it. The space can still be adjusted at this point, too. As for skimmers, I also looked around for the biggest footprint model appropriate for a 40-65 gallon tank (rated for 2x actual tank volume) and came to the conclusion that ~9"x11.5" is sufficient.

Given your suggestion on the refugium, I may reconsider that plan and leave the sump open as a 2 chamber (drain/skimmer, and return pump). I can still throw a light over it that way and grow some cheato or something. Macro algae was really my only plan for it anyways. A separate refugium isn't an option at this point, as I have a finite amount of space under my stand, and I don't want to build something separate outside of the stand.

As for the tank, I'm not even joking, the only RR tank that I have been able to find at any LFS (tried 6 different stores) was a "custom." Regular glass (not starphire), regular black frame @ top and bottom, drilled either center or corner with standard overflow box. $1200. 3-4 weeks for delivery. Time frame didn't bother me. It was the price. If I could find the Aqueon or any of the other brands that have the stock overflows, I wouldn't care if it took 2 months... I just won't spend $1200 for something so basic. I only paid $350 for my old 90 gallon Aqueon (AGA at the time) megaflow RR. Granted that was in 2006, but as far as I can tell, tank prices haven't changed much. I'd pay $400-500 if it meant getting what I wanted. I have also found a few out-of-state LFS that list the Aqueon w/ pricing for pickup at a max of $300. None of them will freight ship.