Already re-learned a few things...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I've officially been back in the hobby (water in tank) less than 3 days, and I am strongly considering a tank upgrade... :help:

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that my aqua C remora now leaks from the intake tube at the point where it connects to the box. Skimmer down. The trifecta of BS was rounded out with my Aqua Medic Niveaumat peristaltic pump being dead, and my kalwasser reactor leaking. I guess that's what I get for trying to salvage my old equipment.

While discovering these problems, I also reaffirmed my disdain for having more than a couple powerheads in the tank (aesthetically speaking). I also found that an Aqueon 65g reef ready (same footprint as my 40B) can be had for just a few more $$ than what I paid for the 40B plus what a CPR HOB overflow is going to cost me. An extremely cheap upgrade in the grand scheme of things, and I regret not discovering this.

Now for the good news:
My clowns seem to be happy in their new home, and daily monitoring of chemistry is already showing a stable cycle.
The kalk reactor just needs new uniseals, and they're already on the way.
I'm shopping around for that 65g :dance:
I LOVE my new LED lighting, color, controllability, all-in-one-ness, etc makes me giddy.
The outcome of stand and hood project also makes me giddy.
The (antique) Ocean Motion wave maker is working wonderfully with my 3rd gen Koralias.
My 8+ year old refractometer is still spot on after 6+ years of dormancy.

Hope everyone has a great day :sunshine:

mr_tap_water

Hi there
It sounds like you're on the right track when you're ready why not add some pictures so we can see how things are looking[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I also learned I need to buy a magfloat...

IMG_1574.jpg

DaveK

I... I also found that an Aqueon 65g reef ready (same footprint as my 40B) can be had for just a few more $$ than what I paid for the 40B plus what a CPR HOB overflow is going to cost me. ...

What ever you do, don't get a CPR overflow. Period. These have a lot of inherent design defects the will cause floods. The big problems I had with them are they are impossible to clean, the U siphon traps air and requires a pump like an aqua lifter to keep it clear. The connection often clogs. Smaller snails often get trapped in the U siphon. I also had a bulkhead fitting snap off on me, which is something that should not occur.

Your best option is to drill the tank. If that's not possible, get a Lifereef overflow. They work many time better than the CPR and are a lot less prone to causing floods. You can see then here (offsite) - http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html Yea, they cost about twice as much, but they are well worth it.