Tridacna help

mhago

Hi All, yesterday I bought this tridacna. It was very well in the store, but didn't open here in 24 hours....any tips? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!
7b8f5bda9e7ad03dacd888215591a3bc.jpg

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

frisbee

How big is your tank? How long has it been set up? What kind of lighting do you have? What are your parameters? What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Have you checked the clam for pests?

mhago

Hi it is a Red Sea 130 set for more than 4 years. Parameters are fine, zero nitrate, nitrit, phosphate. Light it is a Radion de 30w. I have a yellow and blue tang, two clowns and a green coris. Thank you

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How long and how did you acclimatise the clam?
It's starting to gape which is a very bad sign and they often do not come back from this point, it has also retracted into its shell which is another poor sign. I'm sorry but I'd say there's not much hope for this little guy :(

mhago

Maybe it was the trip from the store to my home....it was about 2 hours and half... After that I wait for 30 minutes until the water achieve same temperature and made the acclimation.... If I'm not mistaken it was this way when I put in my reef.... Maybe it was the trip.... Thank you

mhago

A friend of mine just told me it can take up to 10 days to acclimate..... That it is usual take this time.... I hope he is right.... Let's see what happens. Any different suggestion, please just let me know. Thank you

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How long was the acclimation? A 2hr drive should be fine unless there were some very large and rapid temperature swings?
I've never heard of clams taking that long to acclimate. They can take a while to find a spot they're happy with but an acclimation should take about an hour or two depending on the differences. And once they're in a tank they're acclimatised, unless you're talking about light acclimation?

The way I see it is, see the inlet siphon how it's really widely open and the edges are in-turned? This is the clam gaping which is a very poor indication of health. The next very worrying sign is that the clam is open and tissue exposed like it should be but the difference is the edges of the mantle are retracted inside the shell. This is also another bad indication of health :(

I will be truly happy to hear that this clam makes it and thrives but given the signs I don't give it much chance I'm afraid.
Please have a read through this article, written by the Grand Father of clams himself, James Fatherree:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

mhago

Thank you, Wrangy, thank you All, but today it is gone..... I don't know what happened but, it is what it is, thank you!