Should I get some phosphate remover?

Jayne51

Hi

I did a 25% water change yesterday with 0 TDS. My salt water mix was 0-2 nitrates and 0 phosphates. After the water change my nitrate dropped to 15 and phosphates 0.12 - I have just tested today (I fed 1/3 frozen cube defrosted and rinsed with RO last night plus a few pods again rinsed in RO) - just tested this morning - nitrates down to 10 but phosphates up to 0.16 ???? What am I doing wrong? Do phosphates adjust at different times of day? Very frustrating! Should I get some phosphate remover? It will have to go in a media bag in one of the rear chambers - will that help reduce nitrates too?

Antics

Hard to say without information on testing? What type of test kit are you using? Keep in mind that all hobby level test kits are going to have a variance and margin of error. You can't expect lab grade results on the hobby/disposable budget. Instead of worrying about your phosphate numbers, look at the success and health of your tank to quantify the information. If you're obviously having issues with nuisance algae etc, focus more intensely on phosphates. If everything looks good, stop chasing numbers.

DaveK

Phosphates can come from several sources. What and how much your feeding can be a big factor. You can not prevent some phosphates because you need to feed your fish. Phosphate can often leach from sources inside the tank. Live rock and the sandbed are two possible areas to check. Some types of carbon can also leach phosphates.

Your numbers don't seen to be too bad, so using a product to remove phosphate may be a good idea. I think your best solution would be to use bulk GFO since it works as well as and is a lot less expensive than the name brand products. It is best used in a reactor, but it will do some good if used in a fine mesh media bag.

Jayne51

Thank you - I don't think I over feed (1/2 frozen cube that I defrost and rinse in RO water) for 4 fish daily. It is still quite a new tank (nearly 3 months). I do get detritus on the sand which I syphon off when I water change but my rocks have nice patches of deep red coraline and a few pink patches appearing. Is bulk GFO the actual name of the product? Will that also help with nitrates? Everything seems healthy in my tank - corals growing new polyps etc but obviously would like to get it under control.

chipmunkofdoom2

I agree with Antics, are you having an algae problem? Your numbers aren't too out of line and look pretty good (I think). Keeping nutrients in check is important, but I wouldn't stress too much over it if you're not having health or algae issues in your tank.

Phosphate absorbers go by many brand names and trade names, but GFO is a more generic and typically cheaper option. It stands for granular ferric oxide, and is usually available in bulk because it's a very cheap and effective phosphate remediation solution. If you were in the US, I would wholeheartedly recommend Bulk Reef Supply, as they have awesome prices and are a great place from which to purchase supplies. Can't recommend anywhere in the UK unfortunately.

GFO is strictly phosphate remover. There aren't many (if any) good nitrate absorbing resins for marine aquariums.

Did you start your tank with dry rock? Some dry rock has been known to leach phosphorus back into the water over time.

Jayne51

Thank you - the only algae problem I have is diatoms on the sand. I syphon them at water changes but within 2 days they are back. I have tried adjusting the water flow which has helped a bit. My rocks were uncured rock when I bought them and have been in the tank about 2 1/2 months now. I will keep up with larger water changes at the moment and then look into some GFO if the phosphates are still high after a couple of weeks. I am hoping the biohome media I put in a couple of weeks ago will start seeding and help with the nitrates in a couple of weeks too. I will try and stop worrying about it so much as everything is healthy in the tank but will keep a close eye on everything.

I have 2 narcirrus snails - do you think it would be worth getting a couple more to help with the sand? My tank is only 95 litres though?

Thanks for your help :)

MatroxD

Thank you - the only algae problem I have is diatoms on the sand. I syphon them at water changes but within 2 days they are back. I have tried adjusting the water flow which has helped a bit. My rocks were uncured rock when I bought them and have been in the tank about 2 1/2 months now. I will keep up with larger water changes at the moment and then look into some GFO if the phosphates are still high after a couple of weeks. I am hoping the biohome media I put in a couple of weeks ago will start seeding and help with the nitrates in a couple of weeks too. I will try and stop worrying about it so much as everything is healthy in the tank but will keep a close eye on everything.

I have 2 narcirrus snails - do you think it would be worth getting a couple more to help with the sand? My tank is only 95 litres though?

Thanks for your help :)
If it's only diatoms, and your levels aren't high, you may want to look into some silica absorption resin for your di unit.. Filterguys.com is my source to purchase it. I haven't had any in a few months, but it does make a difference..

New tanks, yes, your going to have a little bloom, but besides that, I use the resin to keep silicate low, and keep my gfo from absorbing it wastefully.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

Jayne51

If it's only diatoms, and your levels aren't high, you may want to look into some silica absorption resin for your di unit.. Filterguys.com is my source to purchase it. I haven't had any in a few months, but it does make a difference..

New tanks, yes, your going to have a little bloom, but besides that, I use the resin to keep silicate low, and keep my gfo from absorbing it wastefully.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk
Thanks - I buy my ro water at the moment but I do travel further to the LFS that sells it with 0 TDS. Buying my own is something I'm looking into.