Dosing red sea no3 po4 and reef energy a and b

randy4083

I don't know what my total water volume is cause I added a small cpr aquafudge 2 hang on the back and the tank is a 30 gallon long tank and I think that I gotta dose the reef energy first cause it says to turn the skimmer off for 15 minutes to 30 minutes and the skimmer has to be on for the red sea no3 po4 x so am I right about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated cause I need to get rid of this algae thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rini

Hi,
I'm dosing the energy and nopox with skimmer off. My skimmer is mostly 2 hours off. And 1 of the 2 streaming pump off as well.

Rini

Yes it is working as it should. Perhaps I missed that part from the manual that the skimmer must be on.

Mandy11

I don't know what my total water volume is cause I added a small cpr aquafudge 2 hang on the back and the tank is a 30 gallon long tank and I think that I gotta dose the reef energy first cause it says to turn the skimmer off for 15 minutes to 30 minutes and the skimmer has to be on for the red sea no3 po4 x so am I right about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated cause I need to get rid of this algae thanks

For the time the skimmer is turned off it will be fine, as long as you remember to turn back on again.
I used to dose nopox in the morning and use energy A & B in the evening as light went out, corals feed better that way and then nopox hasn't just been dosed either. Plenty of time apart.

randy4083

How much should I dose in a 30 gallon tank and the nitrates are at 15 it says 3ml but I've heard that you can dose half of the amount and it will work so does anyone know what I should dose the tank with

Rini

I dose what is on the bottle etiket. For me that is now around 3 ml
My nitrate is around 1-2
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

randy4083

Would it be fine to dose for 25 gallons on a 30 gallon tank with the coral energy a and b cause it says 1 ml per 25 gallons and I've also got a tank that's 55 gallon so is it fine to dose 2 ml in that tank or should I dose for the other 5 gallons to

randy4083

Do you dose this stuff daily or weekly cause the instructions say daily and on the bottle it says weekly

Pat24601

Would it be fine to dose for 25 gallons on a 30 gallon tank with the coral energy a and b cause it says 1 ml per 25 gallons and I've also got a tank that's 55 gallon so is it fine to dose 2 ml in that tank or should I dose for the other 5 gallons to

I think you'd be fine dosing for 25 gallons.

DaveK

... Any help would be greatly appreciated cause I need to get rid of this algae thanks...

If your having a serious algae issues, one the worst things you can be doing is dosing all this stuff.

While it's food for bacteria and corals, it can also be food for algae.

I recommend you discontinue these additives until you get the algae under control. Also, it would be best to make some major water changes using RO/DI water, until you have replaced a large percentage of water in the tank. This is usually about 4 or 5 30% water changes, with each change being done about 5 days to a week after the last one.

I've posted this next part before, it describes what you should generally be doing for algae control. Not all of it may be applicable to your system, but it's a good place to start.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #2 - Algae Control

Algae control comes down to controlling nitrates and phosphates. If you have a problem with algae it is because these two nutrients are out of control. Do not think that just because your test kits read zero or low values that you do not have a problem. In many cases the algae is removing the nutrients and growing. This is why there is a problem.

Here are possible sources of nitrates and phosphates -

Feeding, especially flake food and not rinsing frozen foods before feeding.
Using tap water to mix salt. Always use RO/DI water for this.
"Dirt traps" and "nitrate factories" in the system.
Low quality carbon can leach nutrients.
Low quality salt can sometimes add nutrients. This is unusual today.
Livestock load on the system

Here are possible ways to remove nitrates and phosphates -

Water changes. Change 1/2 the water and you reduce the nutrients by 1/2.
Skimming. Remove the waste products before the biological filtration need to break then down.
Nitrate and phosphate removal products.
(added note-Nopox is is not direct nitrate and phosphate removal product)
Deep sand beds.
Refugiums.
Algae Scrubbers.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Most people that control algae well use many of the above methods.

There are also other items that can effect algae growth rates.

Good clean up crew.
Other livestock that eats algae.
Low general water quality, especially when the readings are off.

Lighting, sometimes you can reduce it, especially in FO or FOWLR systems.
Old light bulbs. Colors change as they age and this can be a factor.
Water flow. More flow will often help keep algae down.
Manual removal. Very important, especially when there is a big problem.

Rini

Here dose it everyday. The nopox and reef energy. 65 gallon aiming for grow with sps frags. 3 ml a&b. En 3 ml nopox since nitrate en phosfate under control.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

dacianb

After a combination of trying for 2 months to keep alive a copperband butterfly (read massive overfeeding of tank) and a bad choice of nitrate test (which showed me all this time that everything is OK) I noticed an algae bloom (tangs, blennys and lot of snails consume it, but still green rocks).
After my copperband died (nothing worked for him) I bought 2 new different NO3 tests and both showed me values in 30-50 range. So I panicked as hell and started dosing NOPOX in the 3ml/100l range.

After couple of days a large bacterial bloom occurred (very cloudy-white water) and fishes breath faster than normal. Put my skimmer (3X over-rated comparing with tank volume) to wetter skim and went crazy. Almost dayly have to empty the cup - huge bubble magus curve 7. A whitish slime sticks to the inside cup of skimmer too.

After 3 days water became crystal clear (never saw it like this) and all corals had a huge extensions. A different tank :). At this time, NO3 was still in 20 range, so I continued dosing (note - nothing else added to tank - no coral food, no additives, just small amount of food for fishes).

After another 3 days, another bacterial bloom, this time less visible, but even if hammer corals, zoas and a bubble anemone is doing great, an acan coral recessed completely and probably will never recover. Looks really bad. Tomorrow will do a water change and retest the water, hopefully the NO3 went under 10, so I can reduce the dosing and maybe my acan will come back to his beauty.

I red on other posts that sometimes, random corals or nems reacts not so well to NOPOX.