Recent content by vsindorf

1. V

DIY aquarium plumbing - never plumbed before

I had a reef tank for years, but always used biocubes with their handy built-in plumbing. Now I'm living the dream and getting a PhD in marine biology, but some plumbing stands in my way. I have a long 7'x3' fiberglass tank (1.25' deep) that I am taking over for a 6 month experiment, but it...
  2. V

Help with a mushroom?

You can also "sew" it onto a place you want it - just thread the needle through the tissue as close the the base as possible and then tie it down. The foot will attach and then you can cut off the thread.
  3. V

Getting rid of Mushrooms

your LFS should be willing to buy a shroom colony from you I think, if you don't want to look for other customers. If you just want them gone, I would sell the rock and get a new one. Seems like unnecessary work to cut and scrub a colony of mushrooms away to bare rock.
  4. V

Id Help

octocorals are corals too! It's just that none of them but Heliopora actually make reef-building skeletons. Don't worry, Heliopora, I accept you as a true coral even though you have 8 tentacles instead of 6. The extra 2 just make you that much more awesome :)
  5. V

My first Saltwater 29 Gallon BioCube

hmm that is not a good sign. usually if fish start freaking out and swimming erratically they are very stressed. Could be a water chem issue, maybe a mini cycle since your tank is still so new. Or they could be sick. If at all possible I would try to move them into a quarantine tank and then...
  6. V

Stocking a 2 gallon

okay then. It could be fun to keep it as a crab tank, I think. I love the pom pom's. And i would go with low light corals, like shrooms, gsp, zoas. Just keep it pretty simple I think and don't overcrowd it.
  7. V

30 gallon biocube with live rock questions and fish feeding questions

I love your excitement, but everyone is right, take it slow. Take the time to watch your rock come to life - see what crawls out when the lights are off, etc. Take joy in the process. when you get to corals and fish we'll help with the feeding/care questions, but you've got a while to go...
  8. V

Stocking a 2 gallon

yeah, I would say you are overstocked on crabs, no way to support them all in a 2gal. and fish are probably right out, i mean maybe like one barnacle blenny? but really 2 gal is not enough for a fish. go with sexy shrimp and easy corals, they are fun to watch and that way you're not pushing the...
  9. V

Need ID on this Algae.. good or bad?

yeah, definitely a species of Ulva (sea lettuce). It can possibly grow to nuisance levels, but it's a favorite of herbivores so is usually kept in check. It'll help with nutrient export and is a nice breeding ground for pods! (trim it if it gets too overwhelming for the tank)
  10. V

Couple of ID's needed, please!!

is the anemone in the first pictures supposed to be the same as the one in the second? because they do not look the same to me. neither of them look like the mini carpets that i have had pop up in my tank or aptaisa...first picture looks possibly like a majano? If so, it's a nusiance anemone...
  11. V

feeding a lawnmower blenny? advice needed

cool, thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm glad to know i'm not being inhumane by not feeding him specifically. I'll let him keep lawn mowing for the time being and maybe pick up some pellets or flakes to give him once a week or so for those extra nutrients. He is such a fun guy to watch. I...
  12. V

feeding a lawnmower blenny? advice needed

I have been battling the hair algae in my tank for a while now (mainly with a toothbrush). But I took a 2 week trip to visit grad schools on the west coast and when I got back I found that my parents had introduced a lawnmower blenny to the tank. For a week or so it did nothing but sit in a cave...
  13. V

*begginer* BioCube need advice/help

awesome, welcome! I love my biocube 29. Just remember that small systems are much less stable than large systems, so go slowly and enjoy the process, don't try to rush it.
  14. V

Emerald crab and CUC?

snails or hermits? if snails, I would try tipping them a little to see if they try and right themselves (caution though, not all can very well, so if they try, they're alive and you can put them back. Hermits should have moved by now. You can try moving them, poking their legs gently to see if...
  15. V

happy corals lets see them.

Tek, what is that top picture? It's stunning!