Recent content by Tom Vick

1. Tom Vick

the things that don't make sense

Welcome to my @#$%!
  2. Tom Vick

Power heads? whassup.... this can't be right.

Sounds like some sort of precipitation to me too...I had that happen to a batch of new salt water I made for water changes...lucky for me it was in a mixing barrel not my tank...every time I stired things up the water turned almost white...sounds like your water is out of balance...I would go...
  3. Tom Vick

Help! My corals are peeling!

I mean the flow is so low that crap grows in the small gaps obstructing flow...I do have valves but cutting back doesn't seem logical...with a total water volume in the system of 300+ gallons the 200-300 gph I'm getting from my current pump seems way low.
  4. Tom Vick

When I say the flow is too low I mean less than 500gph...low enough that my overflows are clogging from the lack of flow. I like the powerheads beacuse they are hooked up to a wave maker ans alternate flow...there is also a closed loop set up that cuts on and off randomly but it is not strong...
  5. Tom Vick

Purple Tang

A water change always helps...Good luck....once he/she gets settled it should be very hardy...mine was the lone survivor from a all fish wipe out...
  6. Tom Vick

This tanks was moved a year ago...I think most of my problems have to do with water flow...I've been changing my return pump....from over powered to under powered...adding powerheads to make up for it...Getting ready to change again...I'm terrified that it will cause more problems but I need...
  7. Tom Vick

Ca got as low as 360...
  8. Tom Vick

Best Oline Place to Buy Inverts

Check this one out...drmaccorals.com. I've also had good luck with Drs Foster & Smith.
  9. Tom Vick

Yes I do drip Kalk on days when my ph will drop below 8 (lights off)...ph does swing from 7.98 to 8.08. I mostly rely on the Calcium reactor. KH was a little high but have brought it down to around 4. I did a large water change (around 30%) and am testing the water regularly. Only thing not...
  10. Tom Vick

Well...I thought the hemmorging was over...two more sps lost...one was established and no where near a powerhead...was growing fine...this is getting expensive and frustrating!!!!!
  11. Tom Vick

Aptasia Anemone

I have used the "pastey kalk" tech when they pop up in my tank from time to time and I think it works great!
  12. Tom Vick

PH Probes

I got a little over two years use out of a pin point probe...you just have to calibrate them more often with age.
  13. Tom Vick

I think I have/had two problems going on...the two new corals were placed high in the tank...I assumed they were in bright light at the retailer (online)bad move I guess. The three others I lost were do to flow I think...I changed my return pump to a smaller one and added some wave makers to...
  14. Tom Vick

You may be on to something with the direct current...effected corals were placed about 1-1.5' from a Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060. These pumps are supposed to give higher flow with low velocity but they are still pretty strong.
  15. Tom Vick

I guess I'm using the "shotgun" approach...dip in case of infection...and I will move the frags down to the subsrtate to try an save them. Next new purchase will start at the bottom!