Recent content by SJS

1. SJS

The "Necessity" of a protein skimmer

I'm wondering the same thing... My skimmer pump quit a few months ago and since I wanted to upgrade to a new skimmer (but cant since the one I want wont fit into the existing sump so now I need a new sump before I buy the skimmer - you get the picture... - no skimmer). I have a 300 gallon DT...
  2. SJS

Using Glacier Water Machines for tank?

If you are going to buy water from anywhere invest in a TDS meter (total dissolved solids). Test the water for chlorine etc before mixing it with salt. You dont know how often they change their filter cartridges. I would bet that there are plenty of machines out there that dont have filters...
  3. SJS

Petco selling aptasia?

Sooo, I should quit trying to eradicate these "exotic anemones"??? Darn!! I just blasted a couple dozen with aiptasia x yesterday, should have left them and then when the entire tank is covered (in a month or so!) sold it to Petco for a fortune!! Wonder if they sell Joe's Juice and the like...
  4. SJS

In the hole!

I put my RBTA on a rock, he stuck to it, but that night moved lower, within a day or so he had pulled himself through the rock to the other side. Like Seafansar's it could have gone around but went through instead. He's been there for weeks now and hasn't moved. Nemes are tricky to keep...
  5. SJS

millions of tiny bubbles in DT

Like Goldenmean said, get a ball valve and attach it too your return pipe, it will allow you to slow down the water going back to the tank. Have you tried to add more water to the sump? Turn the return pump off, allow the water to drain into the sump and fill it as high as possible without...
  6. SJS

Help please

As for rocks and substrate - my opinion is - get a small amount of live sand and live rock from a good source. Tampa Bay Saltwater seems to have a great reputation. Then add the remaining amount of sand and rock from a cheaper dry souce and let the tank run for awhile without adding any...
  7. SJS

Help please

The best thing to do is slow down and READ READ READ... There are many different ways of setting up a tank, but from experience I can tell you - set it up once - setting up a tank for the 2nd or 3rd time is a real pain! I have T5's and have great luck with them - happy tank, happy corals...
  8. SJS

Customer's 100-gallon saltwater aquarium

How about a basic overview of how she is caring for them, Maybe they are lacking nutrients. Perhaps the water is "too good" - ie lacking in nutrients. I feed my corals by adding various stuff to the tank - oyster eggs, coral frenzy, zooplankton etc... I also spot feed several times a week. I...
  9. SJS

WTB Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

If you are set on an RBTA PLEASE PLEASE buy a captive grown. They are essential to their host clowns in the wild and taking them from the wild devastates the local area. They are difficult to maintain in a home aquarium so please do not experiment with a wild caught one. If you are set on...
  10. SJS

my new fish

If it's a goby I would make sure he cant jump out - cover the top of your tank with something. Dont know if your type will jump, but most gobies do - better safe than sorry.
  11. SJS

Ordering livestock from liveaquaria - any input?

Thanks everybody. I like the peace of mind and will trade that for actually seeing the critter I am buying. My last purchase at my LFS did not work well. The Coral Beauty was and is fine, but the Regal Angel did not make it. Granted they are a difficult fish at best, but I feel that if it...
  12. SJS

Ordering livestock from liveaquaria - any input?

I recently ordered 2 juvenile clowns, a 6 line wrasse and 8 peppermint shrimp from liveaquaria. All arrived healthy and acclimated well. Seem to still be doing well. I have now placed an order for dwarf angels. I decided to go this route after reading their qt practices. I like that they...
  13. SJS

Meet the newest furry addition to the Storc house

Congrats to you and the hubby and especially Andrew - lucky cat!!
  14. SJS

Mixing Angels and dwarf angels

Thanks for the replies. Currently there is one dwarf Coral Beauty in there. He seems pretty laid back. I have a regal angel in QT but due to parasites and not eating I'm not hopeful for him being added to the DT. I will get a couple dwarfs to QT together - then add at the same time...
  15. SJS

Mixing Angels and dwarf angels

I'm slowly stocking my 300 gallon, in researching different fish, many resources say to have only one angel and one dwarf angel per tank. I would really like several angels and several dwarf angels. I have read articles showing multiple angels (and tangs) in a reef community. The possible...