Recent content by ryanjoelsmith

1. ryanjoelsmith

NEW RSM250......and it begins!

Well I need a little assistance/advice. All things are looking great BUT I'm having a real hard time getting my calcium/alkalinity/magnesium in check. I've been trying to raise my calcium from 350 to 370-400 and my magnesium from 1200 to 1300. My DHK was sitting at 10-11 two days ago when I...
  2. ryanjoelsmith

Thanks!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. ryanjoelsmith

Ya I almost learned that the hard way when my brand new vortech pump let go on the wet side. The magnet picked up a ton of the substrate and jammed the propeller bad. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ryanjoelsmith

Took some more pics while the office was a bit darker. My professional iPhone photography shows the colours much more accurately. These two are best buds. Hopefully the Galaxy blenny can get some meat on his friends bones and teach em to eat! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. ryanjoelsmith

Quick update pics with new additions and a word of advice. When trying to raise your calcium levels to feed a fully stocked sps/Lps tank, ensure the hose from your dosing container is attached...........when levels continue to drop to 350, check those attachments. Thankfully my water...
  6. ryanjoelsmith

The final large addition of sps onto the reef! Aside from some nice zoa additions over the next couple weeks this about does it for a while! The birds nest and acros all have their own cool little security crabs. I'll be monitoring all of my levels aggressively for the next two weeks to...
  7. ryanjoelsmith

It's been one month since I picked up my rock and water. Here are some pics from this morning after last nights big additions! They've all had great extension all day and seem to be settling in nicely. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. ryanjoelsmith

Another update! I picked up another dosing unit so I'm now dosing calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, potassium automatically and iodine, strontium manually. All parameters are in check and have remained steady since the beginning. I noticed drop offs in the above listed parameters upon introducing...
  9. ryanjoelsmith

Corals feed. I watched my calcium and alk drop steadily as well as magnesium since adding corals as well as coralline growth ect. It's important to note that this was more of a transplant than a fresh startup. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. ryanjoelsmith

Well, It seems my foot is buried deep in my mouth. While there is an issue with one of the heads the other issue with missing doses was 100% my fault. I'm judging myself for my poor attitude and so is this new addition starry blenny! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. ryanjoelsmith

oooooooo I haven't seen Steves led upgrade! Maybe i'll save a little cash......... I am having an absolutely horrible time with this Neptune Dosing unit. Out of the box pump #2 is faulty and pump #1 (which calibrated perfectly) did not dose at all last night! Neptune seems to have a good rep...
  12. ryanjoelsmith

Well.........despite better judgement............I'm trusting my instincts. Three days ago I added three more corals and moved the others into more desirable locations. Added a two part dosing system with the Neptune DOS. Testing as of today: Calcium 390 - dosing of 24ml per day starts at 12am...
  13. ryanjoelsmith

Thanks! The conductivity probe fluctuates up and done. My actual refractometer is steady. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. ryanjoelsmith

Does anyone know why my conductivity rises and lowers from night to day? Right before the lights came on it was at 40.7 and now 1 hour later it is at 43.3.......when I checked this morning and saw how low it was I was quite concerned as tat would read lower than 1.020 salinity. At 43.3 salinity...
  15. ryanjoelsmith

That looks about right. Should I be concerned of this little critter? The advice to take it slow is heard :). One of the benefits of my live rock/water is it all came from a well established system. I monitor my water daily and am limiting light as well as feeding. The live rock has tons of...