Recent content by reefracer

1. reefracer

Garlic?

I use Brightwell Aquatics garlic concentrate, it says improves the overall health, encourages new fish or finicky eaters to eat by soaking food in a small amount, also improves health of fishes particularly in systems with parasites. I put tank water in a cup then add a few drops and let it soak...
  2. reefracer

Flatworm Solution, all my corals are all dying and closed!

Oh yeah, sorry. The one used may have had different ingredients but I thought the op said they were the sameas
  3. reefracer

Flatworm Solution, all my corals are all dying and closed!

Sorry to hear of your troubles with flatworms and FWE. I guess the take away is lessons learned from medications, seems like some have used it without the disasterous results that you had still we all should take the lesson from your experience. Do you happen to know where the flatworms came...
  4. reefracer

Hanna checkers

I got the checkers for Christmas, phos, calc, and alk. Not easy as I was hoping but ok. What I didn't like was there is not a chart with them to tell you if your good or not, do anyone know where there is charts for these? my phos was 000, the calc 516 and alk was 87. I don't know if these last...
  5. reefracer

What is this

Yep Nukem. Whichever it is, it does not look like anything we are trying to culture and keep in our tanks. :)
  6. reefracer

Please help me i'm at my whits end!!

I personally have done a total black out and read of others doing so with positive effects on nuisance algae, problem anemone issues, and water clarity will improve as well. An absence of light (sun light as in severe storms) would not be unnatural in the ocean.
  7. reefracer

Is it possible to rotate a tank without teardown?

Glad you were able to get it moved without incident. It gives me hope because someday I want to move my tank out of the room, put down tile and then move it back in. I know, that's a tuff one.
  8. reefracer

Condensation build up in hood??

ventilation? increase the air flow in & out
  9. reefracer

How in the World do Copepods & Amphipods Migrate from Refugium to Sump to Main Tank?

Re: How in the World do Copepods & Amphipods Migrate from Refugium to Sump to Main Ta You're right, they don't get chewed up by the return pumps or skimmer pumps at least not all of them. The ones that are injured are quickly eated by grateful fish.
  10. reefracer

What's a good price?

Price is right, if the above ^^^^ check out with water and...............look closely for sand scatches in the side glasses, leading cause for tank for sale at a good price.
  11. reefracer

Transitioning from CC to BB

I have had those kind of thoughts before but then backed away from going bb. I really like the sand critters and the natural look of the tank best. My sand is carib sea floor spc so it is not too large or pieces but still I decided to start using a siphon tube and clean the sand maybe a fourth...
  12. reefracer

Are you happier with substrate or "bare bottom"

I like the "look" of substrate in a tank w/exception of brown glass edges, I like the substrate creatures, but what I do not like is the build up of "dirt, fish poop, etc" and am starting to have some thoughts about taking out the substrate and going "bare bottom". Should I be so bold? What do...
  13. reefracer

Invest in new pump or update skimmer?

Thanks Steve, I'm listening. I don't just have money to burn but.....I'm thinking a new skimmer is not in the too distant future. Taking advice,
  14. reefracer

The tank is a 90 gal, the sump/refuge combined are 40 gal. I have 4-5" sand bed, live rock, 4 tangs, 3 McCosker's wrasse, 1 six line, 2 percula, a tribal blenny, a file fish and cucumber worm, one red leg and one blue leg crab plus some snails, small starfish and mini brittle stars. I'm sure I...
  15. reefracer

Well my cone has a broken tab so it leaks pretty badly, on the second Sedra 5000 and it is getting old, also just wondering if new tech is better, the g3 has been around for quite a while. I would like to get better performance along with better power consumption. does the skimmer you have use...