Recent content by reeferjoe

1. R

Water level in middle chamber of 130d

It happens to me every so often yet, but I run a blue/white floss along with a denser nitrate filter pad. If I don't replace them often, that middle chamber definitely drops.
  2. R

So a chiller and a uv sterilizer walk into a bar...

Hi all - Ok, so I am about to purchase a chiller and I was thinking of adding a little uv sterilizer in-line to the setup. Knowing that a uv sterilizer heats up the water - should I plumb it in-line BEFORE the chiller - or after? Does it make a difference? Anyone have some first-hand...
  3. R

Steve's LEDs

Nice!! I'll definitely be posting pics - I'll probably add it to my (horribly neglected) build thread... I'll be ordering the 95% complete kit too. I'll let the experts handle the heavy lifting... ;)
  4. R

Chiller recommendations for a 130D

Thanks, Glenn! I've been hearing a lot of people liking the JBJ's, too - so I am definitely leaning towards that... Was curious to see there were any others I should check out!
  5. R

Steve's LEDs

Just read through all nine pages of this - love this thread!! I'm ordering the kit for my 130D soon and it's great to hear some personal stories with Steve's.
  6. R

Chiller recommendations for a 130D

Hi guys! Been awhile! I've been around, but lurking mainly while work has kept me busy. Tank is doing great - and I will be updating my build post VERY soon! In the meantime, summer is driving temps up in my tank and I've come to the conclusion I need a chiller. I'm wondering if anyone...
  7. R

What is this growing on my Zoos?

Hi all Ok, so I have this small zoo frag that I bumped while cleaning my tank. It fell off the rock I originally glued it to, so I picked it up and re-glued it. No biggie, right? That was about two weeks ago... Over the past week or so (after it was re-glued) - I've noticed this weird...
  8. R

Battling detritus - canister filter on a 130D?

Sorry, I meant PH is at 8.0-8.1. I haven't tested for phosphates. Nothing that I've put in the tank has died. I am seeing lots of junk, those white specks in the photo... Just lots of it - like a snowglobe at times. See post #3 in this thread - answered all those questions - filter floss...
  9. R

You can see from my last posted FTS what I am talking about... This is from 12/29.
  10. R

Nitrates measured near 0 at my LFS. Phosphates 8.0 - 8.1 (kinda low, I know). Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0. VERY low stocked - 1 Firefish Goby, 1 Algae Blenne, 2 Clowns, 2 Zoo's, 1 Duncan and then some various sponges and CUC. I feed 1 cube of frozen mysis thawed every evening. Every other night I also...
  11. R

Caveman's RSM 130d journal

Yeah, I got the Osmolator as one of my first things as well - like you, I got sick of manually topping off. It has been one of the best additions to my tank!! Great progress! Keep the pics coming!
  12. R

Hey Al - Thanks for the reply. It's a fairly new tank. Been running since October. VERY low stocked - 1 Firefish Goby, 1 Algae Blenne, 2 Clowns, 2 Zoo's, 1 Duncan and then some various sponges and CUC. The thing is, I assume it's partly because of my rock. I bought my entire rock & sand...
  13. R

Hi all - Ok, I am having a serious detritus issue in my tank. I'm doing regular water changes. I'm changing my filters often. Blowing off my rocks. Not overfeeding. A full CUC. Everything that should be done to battle it. So with a slight improvement, I'm still not quite where I want to be...
  14. R

RSM 130 lighting mod help

I am in the same exact boat. My tank has been running pretty warm, 82-83º and I would be happy with a two to three degree drop. Tagging along for info! Hey jimv - what LED's and controller were you considering?
  15. R

Need advice on LED kits for 130d

Congrats!! Can't wait to see your pics - I am very close to ordering my setup from Steve's.