Recent content by phchivers

1. phchivers

white stuff coming out of plumbing

I finally just got to ask.....what is this white stuff (stringy, filament-like, white, like something hung in the joints) that comes out of my plumbing everytime I cut off and restart my pumps. It's a good bit of "stuff" that floats in my water for 15-30 minutes. It's light, white, and the...
  2. phchivers

Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby

I have a question about yellow headed sleeper goby: I have one at the suggestion of my LFS for sand cleaning. This activity he does well but covers a couple of my LR's with sand. I dust them off and within an hour or two it's right back. Does this sand on LR have a negative effect ?
  3. phchivers

loud Eshopps overflow

ok no takers yet....how about multiple choice: A) Hofer Gurgle Buster http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/index.html B) Stockman standpipe or C) Durso standpipe http://www.randystacye.com/dursostandpipe.htm D) other...I'd love to hear your ideas thanks
  4. phchivers

loud Eshopps overflow

So what's the best way to quiet up this new Eshopps 1200. It sucks air and gurgles like a mad man. I've read about all the different standpipes etc.; so I don't need the explanations (unless it's unconventional). I'm asking which one should I use. thanks for your help
  5. phchivers

Starting my refugium

Yes I do have a skimmer, which will go into the first tank under my DT. I have read that canister and hang-on filters are nitrate factories as you're saying, but I rinse the media every week and it's not been a problem. That being said this is one reason I'm switching to a refug. thanks for...
  6. phchivers

Starting my refugium

I'm just about ready to start up my refugium. At what point do I remove my hangon and canister filter? I appreciate any discussion and suggestions.
  7. phchivers

Lifereef overflow for RSM and Tunze 9002 skimmer for sale!

what's the flow rating on the lifereef? I have a 75 i'm trying to setup with a refug. oops, didn't see page two
  8. phchivers

glass anemones

same here with the shrimp....plus it's fun to watch
  9. phchivers

Zoa and urchin

I think I will leave them alone. They are actually all hanging out on the same rock they started on, and the arrangment looks better than when I did it. I was just worried the urchin was hurting them, but they seem to be happy. thanks for the replies Phillip
  10. phchivers

Zoa and urchin

Thanks for the help you have lent. My question today is: I had a friend give me two little patches of purple zoa's. I have a hitchhiker urchin, very small nickle-sized and rose/purple colored. It seems he has taken both patches of zoa's and arranged them on his back (I guess). Should I...
  11. phchivers

Lighting question

I have a 75g with about 60 lbs LR, 2 damsels, 1 molly, 1 purple condy, two patches of some little soft purple coral (a friend gave me), three shrimp, 2 brittle stars (1 was a hitcher), an urchin (hitcher), some blue leg hermits, snails, worms, tiny featherdusters, etc , you get it. My question...
  12. phchivers

Apstasia

The shrimp worked for me too..plus seeing the shrimp attack and eat is great fun. But I hear of the possibility of the shrimp eating other tank mates.
  13. phchivers

just signed up

Hello, I'm Phillip and I just signed up. I'll most likely be mostly lurking for free info. One of my employees brought a 75 Gal tank to the office and said let's do a marine tank. I have a 55 of cichilds ( very nice and natural tank I think ); but I have never done a saltwater tank. So we've...