Recent content by nz1989reefer

1. N

breaking in: 9002

Thanks for the reply. How deep in the water do you have the skimmer?
  2. N

breaking in: 9002

Hello, I got out my new Tunze 9002 last night and decided to try it out on one of my tanks. I have a few questions: 1) How deep in water should the skimmer be? The instruction booklet states the water line, but I've read on forums that 1/2 inch below that line is more ideal...I'm really...
  3. N

Improve Water Quality - Sump vs. Canister Filter

Reef Drifter where are you located? I'm from neither the USA nor Canada but I can still manage to do lots of online shopping!
  4. N

Running a Tunze in a 250.

I have the mp10 and the 6025. mp10 works great, but I also like tunze's sturdiness and quietness.
  5. N

Starting Over the RSM 130 after 2 years...

At least you found out what was causing all that algae! Anyway, I think according to liveaquaria.com you can fit some species of dwarf lionfish in the RSM 130. I was considering one myself, but then found out they were illegal in my country :(
  6. N

"Tom's RSM 250"

Re: RSM 250 1 month into cycle Very beautiful! :) Just wondering, do the rocks at the back of your tank ever pose a problem to circulation and trap detritus? I'm thinking of doing a "rock wall" but worried about detritus settling due to low flow.
  7. N

Reef Base or other?

Thanks Terry. How much depth does the starter kit give you?
  8. N

Reef Base or other?

thanks guys, but do you guys reckon I'll need more reef base? I need to know in advance as the time between ordering and arrival may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. @Glenn: Yes I guess the additives may come in handy. I already have a Red Sea hydrometer, the one I got when I...
  9. N

Reef Base or other?

Ok so I've decided I'll go ahead with the Reef Base. Also, I've been told that I'll HAVE to get the starter pack when I get my 130D (not happy about that, paying extra few hundred dollars for test kits that I won't ever use!) The starter pack comes with 10kg of Reef Base. What kind of depth...
  10. N

OUCH!!! the AUD price on RSM250

I'm not quite sure how much it would cost to ship the RSM 250 to Australasia, but I once got a quote from Dr F&S that if I wanted to ship the JBJ nanocube 24g to NZ, the shipping fee alone would be $500 US. The RSM 250, being substantially larger, would logically incur a much higher shipping...
  11. N

OUCH!!! the AUD price on RSM250

Reef related stuff just seems much more expensive on our side of the world. The 250 isn't yet available in NZ but was told by LFS that a ballpark figure cost would be around $4000 NZD ($3025 USD) :(
  12. N

Richard's RSM250 Journey

Re: The beginning Ok I'll just stick with the cleaner shrimps. Are cleaner shrimps territorial at all? Do fish see cleaner shrimps as contestants for territory?
  13. N

Confused in buying a Red Sea MAX 250

Apart from the Elos systems, I completely agree!!! IMHO, none of the JBJ nanocubes, oceanic biocubes come even close to the RSM in terms of aesthetics! I decided to go ahead with the RSM because of its clean look. Really hate the sight of tubes and wires everywhere!
  14. N

Richard's RSM250 Journey

Re: The beginning thanks Terry! How many cleaner shrimp can I "reasonably" fit into the 130D (have never kept shrimps before, not even in my FW tanks, so i have NO idea lol)? Hmmm I think the coral banded shrimps also look nice, do they go well with the cleaners?
  15. N

How many fish in an RSM 130?

On the topic of stocking, how much bioload and "territory-load" do you guys think dartfish gobies require? I've been looking at the red firefish, purple firefish, and scissortail dartfish. I really like all 3! Would a scissortail dartfish and firefish get along well in a 130D?