Recent content by nicolebrzu

1. N

ATO Container Recommendations?

Awesome! Thanks everyone :)
  2. N

ATO Container Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find tall skinny ATO containers? I know I've seen mentions here and there of custom acrylic containers, but I can't seem to find any of those companies! I'm open to other types of containers too, just need something that can fit in a small space...
  3. N

Lighting schedule?

Thanks, everyone! The fixture I bought has a built in timer that adjusts whites, blues, and moonlights separately. I always just had one timer when I had my old PC lights, so this scheduling thing is new to me :)
  4. N

Lighting schedule?

I just got a new t5 ho setup and this is the first time I've been able to control the timing of the white and blue lights separately. I know I've seen threads before where people talk about their lighting schedules and how to simulate the sunrise/sunset cycle, but I can't seem to find those...
  5. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Thank you all so much for the great advice!! So since everyone seems to be in a agreeance that in a shallower tank I can go with a less expensive fixture would you go with the four bulb Aquatic Life or the six bulb cheap ebay fixture? Both I would probably run the stock bulbs temporarily...
  6. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Last week I ordered the Aquatic Life 6 bulb fixture with a plan of replacing the bulbs with ATI bulbs, but then I got an email Friday that they discontinued the 36" model, so my order was cancelled! :( Do you think the Aquatic Life 4 bulb fixture (or similar) with ATI bulbs would be good? I...
  7. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

Thanks BigAl! I've never heard of Catalina, so I'll look into that! Would that 8 bulb fixture bleach corals? I plan on keeping some stony corals but I also love keeping mushrooms and zoas and wonder if even at the bottom of the tank that might be too much for them? Do you know of any 6 bulb...
  8. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

sirrealism Thanks for your help! Do you have a link to the ebay ones? I'd like to take a look!
  9. N

36 inch t5ho fixtures?

I'm looking to replace my current lighting system on my 40 gallon breeder. I originally wanted to go with an LED set up, but ultimately decided that a t5 setup would be better for me. I found a thread on 36" t5 bulb recommendations, but not much on fixtures. I don't have the option of suspending...
  10. N

Questions about upgrading lighting

Thanks for the tips, Dave! Funny that you mentioned being able to repair PC lighting... I just realized that the fan on my current lighting hasn't been running. They don't seem to make this fixture anymore. Any idea where I can get a fan for it? Or should I see that as a kick in the butt to...
  11. N

Questions about upgrading lighting

Hello! I'm returning from a long hiatus here. Two years ago I was unfortunately forced to condense my 40 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon sump to a 20 gallon tank with no sump or any fancy equipment due to my living situation. I thought it would be very temporary, but it ended up being two years...
  12. N

Can anyone review the API Tap Filter??

I'm not sure what the TDS of my tap is... but the quality report shows nitrates are 1.6 ppm!!! and of course a load of other stuff. I'm guessing I would have to change that cartridge pretty often.... Thoughts on filtering distilled water through a DI filter??? I can get distilled for the same...
  13. N

Will lights out kill caulerpa???

I've got two different kinds, grape caulerpa and I think the other is brachypus? The grape is contained to one spot, no issues there. But the other is RAMPANT! I grab handfuls of it and then pick with tweezers but I would have to tweeze for days to get it all. I know there is an obvious...
  14. N

Thanks Al. You know its really crazy that I live 20 minutes from DC and I can't get water anywhere close! All of the really close fish stores don't make their own RO/DI, they have gallon containers shipped in which is super expensive. And there's not even a walmart where I could go get 5...
  15. N

I'm not really in a situation where I can produce all of that waste water with an RO/DI unit though. I also do not have a lot of space under my sink. If I can't find another method I will have to continue driving for my water and not be able to up my water changes. Right now I'm doing about 10...