Recent content by N83259

1. N83259

New Mandarin Dragonets

Within the past year, CORAL MAGAZINE had a great article on training Mandarins to feed on frozen brine & mysis shrimp by transissioning from live brine shrimp,. It may really help you out. PM me if you can not find it on the web. Good luck!
  2. N83259

friendly suncoral?

Well,ya never know! The OP didn't say but maybe he works at a fish market.... It's hard to say what specific stimuli provoke a reaction, but human scent then followed by a meal may may be the answer. some of my aquarian citizens will even react & get ready to feed when I shut the pumps down...
  3. N83259

Bubble coral & maroon clown hosting question

I have had a bubble coral for a little over a year, and like yours, it had grape sized polyps when I got it from a local retailer. Now the polyps are more the size of large peas. (mine is in the sand bed) It extends it's tentacles regularly and feeds vigorously on mysis shrimp and seems to be...
  4. N83259

Please refresh my memory on light schedule- 4 lights -T5

With SW aquarium lighting, you want to simulate what is found in nature. Since most coral reefs are located near the equator, 8 to 12 hours per day is about right. Some variation is OK. You will want to run your bulbs ON altogether for the most part so your corals benefit from a full spectrum of...
  5. N83259

Common Corals & Diving Locations?

I have not been diving since starting in the SW hobby, but I am now thinking about a trip this winter. I was thinking it would be cool to see some of the coral species we all commonly keep in their natural environment. So the "Indo Pacific" would be a top choice...but where exactly? Australia...
  6. N83259

Chiller Problem/Help

Turn the heater down a few degrees from the chiller's setting, so they don't fight each other. I just turn my heater off during the summer. Frequent on/off may or may not be a problem. It's designed to go ON at X temp, will cool the water to Y temp and back on again at X temp. It depends a...
  7. N83259

Would you rather pay $20 for a frag or $100 for a colony?

I'll buy both forms. With my primary vendor, the price per polyp or overall volume is always better with a colony.
  8. N83259

friendly suncoral?

My yelow & black (tubestrea sp?) sun corals (& yellow dendros) respond by opening when I feed the fish or other corals with mysis shrimp or cyclopseeze. It seems this works best with the more "smelly" foods. Since this is almost always when the lights are on, I can enjoy them while I am near the...
  9. N83259

RSM250 Bulbs

The recommended replacement interval is every 9 to 12 months. There are many other brands of bulbs out there...API, Gleismann (sp?) etc. There are different choices of color intensity (degrees Kelvin or K). You can also buy specialty bulbs in pink & blue to give the aquarium a different...
  10. N83259

i hate shrimp

My Skunk cleaners do this, and I'm thinking of getting rid of them. They steal from my beloved Yellow Dendros, which are mounted in such a way as the bottle top method won't work except for one colony. It's frustrating, and sometimes I have dark thoughts about crushing their little exoskeletons...
  11. N83259

Twin Spot Goby

Author Scott Adams says they're hard to keep, for experts only. He says they are bottom feeders that eat pods. It sounds like they have needs not too different than a Mandarin. if your population is low, maybe a bottle of Tisbe pods is worth a shot. Never tried them myself, but I think I've read...
  12. N83259

assessor compatibility

I think most consider a 55 to be medium, with 90 starting the large category. But you have lots of hiding places, and I think that's key. I think your chances are pretty good but there is always a risk, so it might be prudent to have a back up plan if they don't play well together. Like a...
  13. N83259

next fish

I know each individual can have a different personality, but my Royal Gramma stays out in the open a lot. Or perhaps consider a Purple Basslet. The same fish but just a different color. It kind of resembles a Purple Dottyback.
  14. N83259

assessor compatibility

I have a pair of Yellows and they seem to get along pretty well. They will quickly dart at each other occasionally and then go about their business, but no harm ever comes from it. The dominant one is in the open often, the other is more cryptic and is seen mostly at feeding time. I have been...
  15. N83259

Oyster Feast

+1^ Very good stuff. Check the expiration date when buying. Like clownfishrules, I feed it to my non photosynthetic corals. Direct feeding with pumps & skimmer off is a good idea, but I.think most of the other coral species you keep can use it too as it is circulated around the tank. Lots of my...