Recent content by Mpfaff77

1. M

arm and hamer baking soda to raise PH ???????????

I agree with last few posts. Baking soda can cause drastic alkalinity swings bleaching and killing corals over night sometimes. Kalkwasser can be dripped at night to help raise you ph. But drip slowly!!! Another thing is chasing a ph 8.4 may not be necessary. If stable and tank is ok I say if...
  2. M

What order do I add these in??

Yea they can be bit territorial. Especially if they attach to something like they tend to do. My clowns hang around brain coral and Xenia and defend them. I would add last for sure.
  3. M

What order do I add these in??

Agreed with the shrimp goby pair first. Let them get comfortable. May take some time for goby to even feel safe enough to come out. I have even seen where ppl partially bury PVC Y or T. Gives shrimp and goby instant burrow and you can place where you want them to be. Doesn't always work out...
  4. M

anybody have success with any cyano bacteria killers?

I dealt with cyano for 8-9 months tried everything. Finally gave in and went chemical route. Chemiclean worked like a charm. I did half dose then 3 days later repeated directions at anther half dose. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  5. M

Sump Design Help

I know. Lol. Excess nutrients=fish poop buddy. Lmao. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. M

Sump Design Help

Major skimmate here I'd say http://youtu.be/FIuvI3XIohs Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. M

Sump Design Help

I agree with the statement about tanks can and do run without these items. Although the ocean does have natural skimming. Waves act as a skimmer. Ever see sea foam at the beach during a storm??? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  8. M

RO/DI System

A RODI does exactly that. Is softens water. Hard water is water with excess minerals such as iron. Like well water. That is how I always understood it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. M

mandarin question important

If he isn't eating frozen order pods for him. At least he'll eat something. Get a few bags from reefs2go .com and add them at night. Most should hide and Mandy can start eating something. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. M

What test kits do you guys use?

Red Sea pro test kits are very easy to read colors. I found that a lot of kits make it hard to decipher the color of the water. The Red Sea pro kits for nitrates and phosphates has a type of color wheel to compare. Also the calcium, magnesium, alkalinity kit has a titrator that makes it very...
  11. M

Pulsing xeina ( spelling) Not pulsing.

I find if flow is moderate or higher it is very hard to tell if pulsing. Try turning off all pumps for some time. See if start pulsing. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  12. M

phosphate

Could be your mixing tank? Maybe give a good 50/50(vinegar/h2o) cleaning?? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. M

I need help with phosphate

Is this RODI? Maybe time for filter change? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  14. M

I need help with phosphate

I'm also suffering from phos. Similar situation and I've been doing 15gallon changes weekly Phos .5ppm or so. Total volume is about 130gallons too. I am thinking of upping my water change to 30gallons and maybe do daily changes for week. I also have no algae in tank. I get hair algae in...
  15. M

~Electrical Needs ~

I just want to throw this out there. If you plan on using an aqua controller such as an apex. You may not need as many outlets as you think. I have a tank room, although not as big as yours. I have a dedicated 20amp circuit and I had electrician install 6 outlets and few were double outlets. It...