Recent content by MattShack

1. MattShack

1000+ Gallon Display Plywood/Fiberglass Build

I was worried about getting them to eat. I read that it was better to keep them in a group of 2 or more because they school in the wild and are more comfortable in an aquarium. Supposedly, this can help increase the chance of them eating. Mine pick on the rocks all day and eat Formula One...
  2. MattShack

A few new additions
  3. MattShack

Thanks for the info. I was actually considering switching to something else. The foam gets clogged in only a few days and it's very hard to clean. I like the polyester quilt batting idea. I'll switch it out this weekend and let you know how it works. I need to make the holes bigger also.
  4. MattShack

Thank you. It took me two years to talk my wife into it. Now she loves it.
  5. MattShack

I made a particulate filter using an Instant Ocean bucket, a 4" drain pvc pipe and a $10 foam mattress pad from Walmart. There is only a few inches of water in the sump. It will be 2 or 3 more days before the RO makes enough water to fill the sump.
  6. MattShack

I ran a water line and drain line to the room. The water line will feed the RO and the drain line is for the waste water from the RO and the skimmer will also be plumbed into the drain line so there is no more skimmate to empty. It will go straight down the drain from the skimmer and the...
  7. MattShack

Here is a little update from the last few days: I had to rotate the sump 90 degrees to have enough room to walk around it when the room is finished.
  8. MattShack

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed too... This is more work than I thought. haha..
  9. MattShack

Starting fish room expansion...
  10. MattShack

That's funny. Every time I look at this thread I see that poll and shake my head. It will be easier when I get finished with the expansion. I have about 20 or do corals that I need to put where they are going, but I can't do that right now without going snorkeling, so they are all on one side...
  11. MattShack

I will probably add it to this thread. If I do a new thread I will link it.
  12. MattShack

Tomorrow I will finally start expanding the fish room. I can't wait to have more space.
  13. MattShack

Thank you Knight. I was always a fan of all glass myself, but after exploring the plywood, I like plywood better. Besides, cleaning 30 square feet of glass is enough for me... I couldn't imagine having to clean the other 3 sides. :surrender:
  14. MattShack

Thanks Lethal. I was tripping one of my 15 amp breakers recently, had to move some stuff around. I ran a dedicated circuit to the room with 4 - 15 amp breakers and I'm starting to get worried I might need more. A flood would be a good way for my wife to put an end to the hobby for me. I...
  15. MattShack

Thanks Lethal. I was tripping one of my 15 amp breakers recently, had to move some stuff around. I ran a dedicated circuit to the room with 4 - 15 amp breakers and I'm starting to get worried I might need more. A flood would be a good way for my wife to put an end to the hobby for me. I have...