Recent content by lizardarm

1. lizardarm

Giesemann Megachrome Bulbs

Wow! that's an impressive difference. Thanks for sharing
  2. lizardarm

Opinion on setup.

IME the stacking of live rock against the glass does in fact create flow problems in so much as it creates dead spots that you just can't get water pointed at; all sorts of nastiness tends to accumulate in these areas that adversely affects water quality. It also creates a hazard of rocks...
  3. lizardarm

Need Filter Socks / Ebay Vendor

Yep, that's not at all a bad price. I have been buying my filter socks from FILTERBAG.com your industrial filter bag source for a while now. the price is better, but you've got to buy a bunch all at once.
  4. lizardarm

Aquacave in Illinois. good prices?

I'd made a couple of purchases from Aquacave a couple of years ago. Great service, fast shipping, no problems at all. I have found though that I can usually get a better deal (price wise) elsewhere; not always, but usually.
  5. lizardarm

Closed loop setup ideas, help me out.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of livestock are you keeping in there?
  6. lizardarm

Ooooh, now I get it! (I'm slow sometimes) Well, a 1" bulkhead will have a flwo through of about 600 gph (if memory serves me), so 2x1" should be 1200 gph-ish. So maybe the mag12 is the better pump for the return, unless you capped on of the bulkheads. Regardless, your new design should be an...
  7. lizardarm

Alright, I just re-read the first post and now realize that you've got an external overflow. Also, if you're running a SCWD, why not just have two oultets, one on each end of the tank. With a 1200 gph pump you'll get plenty of flow; you might have to run a Y fitting in the lockline to split...
  8. lizardarm

Not really sure what you're asking. can you not just swap the two pumps? Is it an internal or external overflow? and what size bulkhead is the drain running through? On a forty gallon tank, the 800 gph pump should be sufficient for a return. It's best not to depend too heavily on your return...
  9. lizardarm

Quiet One Pump Model 3000

I'd used a Quiet One 3000 years back as the feed pump for my chiller and it worked great. They're good pumps. My $.02
  10. lizardarm

I'm not entirely understanding the drawings, but from what I gather to be the return ports in the new set up I'm thinking that with five ports you'll end up with really low flow out of each one if you're using an 800 gph pump. Have you considered maybe using the 800 gph pump as the return and...
  11. lizardarm

40 gallon reef lighting

howdy, being that the title of the thread says "reef lighting" and your description says "single power-glo light", my guess would be that you probably need more lighting. i'm not overly familiar with the power glo lights, but the only ones that i've seen are the normal output flourescent...
  12. lizardarm

Taking The Flame Angel Challenge..Share your success or disaster

i've never had a problem with mine either. been three years.
  13. lizardarm

Wet Foam vs. Dry Foam

anyhoo.... i tend to go with the wetter foam because my skimmer is a nautilus te and that's about all i can get the thing to do. lol
  14. lizardarm

Purple up???

i have it also, and aragamilk which is made by the same people. i got the purple up for free in a raffle. i can't really tell much of a difference between the two. ground up calcium carbonate skeletons and whatnot. not sure if any of it actually works to get the coraline growing. i've been...
  15. lizardarm

petsolutions.com

well, i felt bad about half-ripping another vendor, so... i have done a handfull of buisiness with petsolutions.com on dry goods. they have always been great to deal with. fast, friendly, and competitive.