Recent content by Leigh

1. L

Hoping things are going right

Blimey when I get a spare week I'll read all that post. Read through 1st 3/4 pages didnt see anything about red cyano / bacteria but loads on green hair and brown diatoms and how much ppl prefer snails over hermits .from what I've read so far that was a top thread to read on the issue and I'm...
  2. L

Thanks for that I was wondering if it would still be effective doing them so close together. My thinking was that it may not have mixed well enough to contain enough of the nitrates to be taken out on the following trips after the 1st ..much appreciated
  3. L

I might add it's a 250l tank
  4. L

Hi guys been offline for a while and trying not to look too far into anything while the tank finished cycling ....sooo here's where I'm at . Tank has definitely cycled I've had cuc in there 3/4 weeks I've lost 2 snails around a week ago think due to this damn nitrate level that just doesn't seem...
  5. L

Randy sure has a lot of honours award and qualifications I would love to have all that knowledge in my brain ...nanoreefing4fun your right uncle99 has a lovely tank and in the future I'm hoping to get results like that too .I'm not really fretting too much more just cramming on info and advice...
  6. L

Ammonia nitrate nitrite phosphate alkalinity calcium magnesium ph and salinity which of these do you not test for or had you forgot one .I'm not trying to point out a mistake just wondered if one of my tests were pointless or not and also if you test for anything else other than that ..didnt...
  7. L

I have lost all faith in lfs info and advice was told different things each time from 3 different places hense the confusion I was in .I'm struggling myself to make head or tail of it all but the advice you have given has made a lot of sense .I'm just a bit peed that they were probably gearing...
  8. L

Now that makes more sense to me. thats pretty much what I was thinking along the lines of what should be happening (maybe not exact but close to that than what I've been listening to) I'm extending my un official approximate end of cycle timing by at least another month due to high nitrates...
  9. L

So I'm still hoping something isn't a miss with my tank cycle ..I know I've already been told that every tank is different by more than one member but I'm being told by lfs that I should have had hair algae bloom which I haven't. So should I still be expecting this before my tank us truly cycled...
  10. L

Thanks so much for the advise that led to a discovery I have made about the water from my closest lfs. After reading the replies it got me thinking of the condition of the water I had been buying so I tested a bit I had left for topping up with .this led to me discovering that the ro water I had...
  11. L

my nitrates must be rising rapidly cos I've changed 50% of water and no change at all maybe a slight lighter tone but not enough to be in the lower numbers at all I'll keep going with water changes until it drops like someone already said it may be that I need a 100% water change . Is there any...
  12. L

So think I'm week 6 this weekend now .(stopped counting due to takes as long as it takes) . My question is I'm using salifert test kits to read my levels and had 0 nitrite 0 ammonia but 100ppm nitrate I have very good flow and have changed out 50% of the water (125l of 250l) and still no change...
  13. L

Yes I realise that it wouldn't produce ammonia as there will be no dead organisms to deteriorate to create it .so that being said the only form of bacteria in my tank would be from my red sea live sand which seems to be doing its thing as I have diatoms and nitrate. The prawn I put in has never...
  14. L

Just researched my so called l/r its apparently a man made alternative not what I wanted really but should be 100% critter free and cured what's everyone's opinion on this type .I've been told it does same job as l/r by lfs a I being fed a load if ammonia causing crap or is that the truth ?
  15. L

I have 2 power heads along with the standard 2 flow pumps that come with the max 250 (probably a little too much ) which may be another reason I'm not getting much algae growth .its quite hard to tell what is too much flow until I see how tha fish handle it when I get to that point but cant see...