Recent content by Leandre

1. Leandre

40g Breeder First SW Tank Setting up.

The light in the qt is really just to give the fish the sense of day and night. Some people don't even use lights and use them ambient light from the room. As for rid ich plus. I have no idea. Never used it, the ingredients list Formaldehyde. Not sure what lasting effect that will have on your...
  2. Leandre

Petco have a $1 a gallon sale going on now. Get yourself a small sponge filter or a hob. If budget allows get two sponge filters and keep one in the sump to seed. A small heater and a thermometer, Amazon sell these digital ones for like $5 and get a pic elbow for the fish to hide. You'll need...
  3. Leandre

Grants, looking good. A few pointers if I may? First your gonna wanna point them power heads to the surface. This will give you more water sueface agitation that will help gas exchange. It will increase evaporation but it's a good thing. Also corals dont like direct flow on to them. You have 2...
  4. Leandre

gotta get some clowns !! or a yellow tang, if you get an algae outbreak these fellas will help you out. also, really, really consider a quarantine tank (QT) there's a write up here somewhere on the forums, i cant seem to find it that details how and why.
  5. Leandre

so sorry for the late reply, it may be too late. the light is fine for what you are doing. but think about your rock work, you wanna have the rocks in a way that they get most of the direct light. not sure what the reflectors are like on this thing. so cant really comment on it. but honestly...
  6. Leandre

DSB question

My tank is a 220g with a 40g sump and an external 40g refuge. Total water volume is like 260g. The DT has a 2" sand bed. The space I'm taking about is the 40g refuge. Initially I split that tank into two sections 2/3 with left over rock. And 1/3 (18x9x14t, the baffle is 14"t) I seperated it so...
  7. Leandre

DSB question

Ok, so 6-8 inches is the norm. Having 6-8 in the space is kinda pointless. What if I used the whole 40g breeder space 36x18 and had it 6-8" high and the rocks sitting on top of the sand with low flow. Would that be better?
  8. Leandre

DSB question

At 9x18x14 can fit about 40lbs of sand. That's too little? I mainly want to use it to grow pods, denitrification is a bonus, so most likely use something like Fiji pink? I have no problem leaving it empty. Just I really want manderines. So thought why not...
  9. Leandre

DSB question

afternoon, so...ive decided to to make a chaetomorpha reactor with this large SSA media reactor i have. it was way bigger then i needed. so i bought a med size reactor for carbon/gfo and planing to make it. article about the cheato reactor: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/08/31/...orpha-reactor/...
  10. Leandre

QT help

there's a massive sponge filter thats been in the sump for about a month now, that alone should have some bacteria on it? also forgot to mention, i also threw in some macrobator7 from Brightwell, too aid what bacteria is already on the sponge the main DT is either cycled or very close to the...
  11. Leandre

QT help

hi guys, so, the tank has been cycling for a month and all seems well, i decided to setup a qt using tank water. it has a large sponge filter thats been sitting in the sump from the beginning and a cannister filter. inside the cannister is just filter floss for keep detritus from the tank. a...
  12. Leandre

What did I do wrong?

Hi, first of all what are you testing? Did you put the bag with the fish into the tank to acclimate the temp? What's your tank temp and silinity? You really haven't given much info on your parameters to let anyone give a good guess. Could of been stress, sometimes fish just die. Sorry I couldn't...
  13. Leandre

Gyre or Wav

I went through the same thing with my setup (220g) i decided to go with 4 wav's (2 starter kits) the list of pros really sold it for me. the ability to auto shut off if pulled out of water or if it falls, if a rouge snail decides to go on a suicide mission, it senses an obstacle and shuts down...
  14. Leandre

hello, i jumped into the deep end first. 220g also lol a few beginner tips for you that i went through. location is just as important as what you're getting. As a tannk filled with water will weigh a lot. so if you want it on the second floor its best to ask a contractor if the floor will hold...
  15. Leandre

My Experience has been a 180 on this, granted it was used on a freshwater application. But my rio lasted a few years, hum low for the price i paid. For me, the Rio pumps are entry level pumps. moves water well and quiet for the price. moving up would the fluval SP range and the Ehiem's but these...