Recent content by jwaynet

1. jwaynet

What is this Nasty Monster worm?

Agree with reefjitsu, sounds like you've got the harmless type. They're generally regarded as beneficial scavengers - I've got quite a few in my tank. If you think that's scary, just wait till you see one when it transforms into an epitoke (reproductive form of the bristle worm) About the same...
  2. jwaynet

Nano Reefers in th UK

There's actually a UK nano reef forum which might help you: http://www.nanoreefs.co.uk Cheers, Jeff
  3. jwaynet

coral nutrition??

Hi Roadrunner, This article might be a good start for you: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/growingcorals.htm Cheers, Jeff
  4. jwaynet

Clean Up Crew

But why are they snail-killers? No other source of food? Need the shells? I've had 5 red-legged & 5 blue-legged hermits in my tank from the start (1 year ago) and they haven't killed a thing! They do have a good wardrobe of shells (which they use) Cheers, Jeff
  5. jwaynet

wit should enjoy this (crab related)

Great news Charlie! One thing you can guarantee with this hobby is surprises. Now, are you going to apologize to your CBS & wrasse :LOL: Best Wishes, Jeff
  6. jwaynet

wit should enjoy this (crab related)

Just what I was going to say too! Your description sounds just like a moult - complete set of legs with a bit of crab attached. I was caught out by this (despite knowing that they moult) It's not like a shrimp moult where you can see that it's an empty 'shell', it really looks like a dead...
  7. jwaynet

I don't know what they are!

Hi Diane, Do they look anything like this? (this is an enlarged photo) They're 'hydroid jellyfish' - still not sure what that means though :) Apparently they're quite common in new tanks, one of the things that come and go as part of the maturation process. Mine appeared at about 4 week...
  8. jwaynet

Brown Stuff On Rocks

OK - try again :spinner: It's in my gallery if pic doesn't show Jeff
  9. porites

porites

10. jwaynet

Brown Stuff On Rocks

Hi Jerome, It's hard to tell from the photo, but it does show a likeness to encrusting porites. Here's a photo of mine that came with my living rock. It's a blown-up photo and it is really hard to spot the small polyps with the naked eye. Cheers, Jeff
  11. jwaynet

fish and coral id please

Encrusting porites? I'm far from an expert but see what you think here: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm Cheers, Jeff
  12. jwaynet

Xenia?

Thanks for the reply, Woodstock. A bit of Googling shows that people can either keep them (and they grow like weeds) or can't (and they just fade away) There doesn't seem to be a happy medium! Interesting your observation on changing to RO/DI water. I've use RO from the start. I wonder if a...
  13. jwaynet

Xenia?

Oops - pics too big Try again....
  14. jwaynet

Xenia?

Hi - I recently posted a message on the newbies forum where I said that my 6-month old tank was doing great - apart from the Xenia which is slowly disappearing, polyp by polyp :confused: Tonight I found this growing on the substrate - it's only about half an inch tall but it looks to me like a...
  15. jwaynet

Hiya All!

Thanks Rob, No, I'm not dosing anything. I do about 10% change every 2 weeks Cheers, Jeff