Recent content by jokerpa

1. J

30+ Gallon Reef Tank by the New Guy

Bear, You were certainly right about the canister being a nitrate factory. We can't get ours out of the redzone (160 ppm API test kit). I've done some partial water changes (never more than 20%) and just started using NO3/PO4 X for the last few days. Haven't come down at all. Gonna try...
  2. J

RO/DI Question

Well I ended up buying the whole kit and caboodle from BRS. I like their how to videos and their prices seemed good. Thanks to everyone for their help.
  3. J

RO/DI Question

Thanks for the input Mayja and Choff. So, if I buy a whole new 4 stage RO/DI unit, can I get rid of my current one? Is it safe to drink RO/DI water? I thought I read somewhere else that you are not supposed to.
  4. J

RO/DI Question

Hi, I have well water at my house and we already have an RO unit but it only processes and stores about 2 gallons of purified water at a time. I found a DI unit on ebay for $65 (good price?) but I'm not sure if I could increase the output of both systems or not. Does anyone have any experience...
  5. J

Thanks for the I.D. whippetguy, after doing some research- sure looks like hidden cup coral to us!
  6. J

any help identifying these cool little anemones?
  7. J

a very cool red brittle starfish.
  8. J

as spongebob would say: Sea Urchin!!!!
  9. J

Ok, so here's a full shot of the tank. The cool double arch rock is a remnant from my wife's tank >10 years ago. We're going to use it and some of the other blank rock on the right of the tank to start our own coral.
  10. J

I have no idea...sounds good to me, hopefully others will chime in. Right now we have crushed up chunks of live rock in the center of the canister filter in hopes that it would help seed the tank.
  11. J

Thanks Nivek (love your avatar) and new2reefing, I think our tank is between 33 and 39 gallons. Neither my wife or I are at home right now, but the tank is 36 inches long by 18 inches high. She thinks it is 14 inches wide, but I thought it was 12 inches. BTW, Nivek- do you really live in Penang?
  12. J

Thanks for the advice Mark! How often do you think we'll need to do maintenance on the canister? My preference would be an ECCO system filter but , as I said, trying to keep cost down until we see how we do with this small tank.
  13. J

Hi, As I said in the meet and greet forum, my name is Todd and my wife , Andrea, and I just started a 30 something gallon reef tank because we both love the ocean and wanted to get our young boys interested. My wife did some reefing about 10+ years ago and this is my first saltwater tank of...
  14. J

New Guy

Thanks for the input Michael. We were mainly using this so we could get started right away with minimal initial expenses (I can't believe how much we've spent already... Why isn't this known as the hobby of Kings?). So here's my question , we live in a rural area and have well water so I already...
  15. J

New Guy

Real Ocean Water is natural sea water that's already filtered, sanitized, and pH balanced for you. No mixing. No measuring. No adjusting. Just pour Real Ocean Water directly into your aquarium. It's the easy way to maintain salt water fish. Helps you maintain a healthier marine environment with...