Recent content by jenwebber3

1. J

water pressure question

Hi all, Physics question, as it’s far from my strong point: the top brace of my 60-gallon (48”x12”x 24”) aquarium snapped off. I currently have it held at that point with a ratchet clamp, which is holding it together nicely. My LFS guy is coming in about 5 days to install a new setup and swap...
  2. J

HELP! what is growing on my cardinal?

hi all, i have a bangaii that is about 4-5 years old (would have to find his receipt to say for sure), and he'd been seemingly fine until today, when he presented with some fleshy tumor-like things. one protruded from his head like a horn (which fell off when i moved him to quarantine), and he...
  3. J

i am dumbfounded.

thanks big al, i appreciate the thorough answer and will check all that out. i'm using a titration kit that claims to not expire until 2017, but you never know. steve, i have sucked my sand clean. seriously, the water is almost coming out clear. i never really test the water in my older...
  4. J

i am dumbfounded.

I know the issue of nitrate is not a new topic. I’ve been reading tons of previous posts and articles, but I’m still baffled with my situation: a few months back, I had a huge hair algae bloom. I suspected it was the fault of my evil Melanarus Wrasse, since he ate all my snails and crabs...
  5. J

Auto Top off Container???

perfect. thanks!
  6. J

Auto Top off Container???

hey, i have a dumb question. never had an auto-fill before, and got one that works with my sump. what composition of water should i use? when water evaporates, it leaves salt behind and salinity raises a bit, so i'm guessing all salt isn't the right choice? obviously, all RO will water down the...
  7. J

Aquascape -- comments/suggestions?

i like the new one, too, more open space for fishies to swim. my reef is smaller, but i have the same problem; i built a cool scape with tunnels and overhangs, but it looks like a big clump of rocks in the middle. not to mention it's a "jenga" waiting to happen; can't move one rock without the...
  8. J

one salt better than another for RO?

groovy, thanks!
  9. J

one salt better than another for RO?

howdy! i had been buying pre-mixed saltwater at my local pet store, which was fine for water changes in my 29 gallon, but will pbly be too pricey for me 65. i always have RO on hand, so figured in some cases i'll mix my own. Here's the question: in my reef, no matter what i've tried, i can't...
  10. J

converting fresh to salt-should i ditch these filters?

Howdy! since my 29-gal reef is doing so well (corals growing out of control), and i got tired of my live-plant fresh after 30 years, i broke down that 65-gallon and want to go FOLR (with maybe some of my kenya trees tossed in as they outgrow my reef). i have been searching all the forums and...
  11. J

help! snowflake coral closed

yeah, i tend to panic quickly with this tank, usually for no reason, though i did lose my yellow polyps, which are supposed to be easy to keep (my kenya trees, the proverbial canary in the reef tank, are happy and spreading, so i figure the water can't be that bad). on the negative side, i...
  12. J

help! snowflake coral closed

I have had this fantastic lime green snowflake polyp for around 6 months or so. He’s been happy, though smaller than when he started, which I attributed to constantly being brushed by shrimp and crabs. On Sunday, I did a tank clean, and stirred up a lot of gravel, trying to get rid of some red...
  13. J

is this bryopsis? and should i control?

rats, i have some nice mushrooms and red turf on that rock, i hate to do that. but thanks for the confirmation on the bryopsis!
  14. J

is this bryopsis? and should i control?

Me Again! This guy came on a piece of Fiji LR I got around 5 months ago, and has been pretty quiet. In the last 2 weeks, he's taken off. Is this Bryopsis? I know it can get out of control, should I remove it completely? (though I like the look of it and would hate to do so). Or can it be...
  15. J

can't seem to i.d. this thing, any ideas?

hi guys, so i have some more pics and some updates on this mysterious red stuff. I asked John at Reef Cleaners, but he doesn't have too many i.d.s on Pacific rock (this was Fiji LR). This stuff likes to spread; tiny red pieces will sprout up amongst my sand bed and on rocks. I've been...