Recent content by JennM

1. JennM

MACNA speaker session. Very disappointed!!

Hrmmm "pissed [off]", "irritated"... means more or less the same thing where I hail from. But I don't feel the need to argue semantics. Like I said, if you or anybody feel you can do a better job, bid for a conference. Go or not go - your dime. I'm not going because I cannot afford to...
  2. JennM

No acid. None at all (folks are extremely defensive here... the few times I've posted I've been met with extremes...) Just offering up what I saw as a BOD member of MASNA, and my experience in service clubs/hobby clubs. Nothing more, nothing less, Scouts' honour. (No typo, I'm Canadian...)...
  3. JennM

Like I said, I'm no longer a member of MASNA... just offering up what I saw when I was active. I'll reiterate... if you think you can organize a better conference, put your money where your mouth is and bid on the next conference. Jenn
  4. JennM

Yes, I post at RDO, RC, and TRT as JennM -- what you see is what you get. Yes, I'm looking at it from an "institutional" standpoint. Since I was the MASNA secretary and I was witness to all the settling of the MACNA that went wrong... boy what a debacle that was. If not for the help of Brian...
  5. JennM

Can't please everybody :( If it pisses you off that much, don't go but I think it's cutting off your nose to spite your face to not be able to see as many key people as you can, learn about new products, speak to manufacturer reps and get to socialize with fellow hobbyists and professionals...
  6. JennM

How Long Do Fish, Coral and Inverts Live?

I have a customer who had a blue tang for 25 years. Another customer has had her pair of percs for over 12 years. If kept properly, creatures have the *potential* to live longer in captivity, than in the wild, because we protect them from the hazards they would encounter in the wild...
  7. JennM

Berlin Method Plans

I'd run the HOB filter, and the HOB skimmer as they were made - no modifications. If you get a decent filter (Emperor, for example) and a decent skimmer (CPR BakPak for example), you can just put them on the tank, add your LR/LS (or bare bottom if you so desire) and let 'er rip. Depending on...
  8. JennM

Hair algae ARGH! (long post)

I wouldn't stop plucking the algae -- however if/when you do pluck it, make sure you remove it from the tank, if you just let it go it will "replant" elsewhere. In my experience, no amount of sand janitors/cleanup crew will manage the hair if it's too long. Mow it down, throw in some extra...
  9. JennM

Hair algae ARGH! (long post)

Some great advice all around. Manual removal, while doing all of the above, you will get ahead of it sooner or later. Patience... I've been to he** and back with a few tanks I maintain this way... Jenn
  10. JennM

Berlin Method Plans

For a 30 (or really anything 55 g and under) I'd do this... HOB power filter (I like Emperors.. 280 for 30g or less, 400 for larger). Decent HOB skimmer, like a CPR BakPak or an Aqua C Remora. No air pumps, no HOB sump. You *could* do a HOB refugium if you wanted (CPR Aquafuge etc.) if...
  11. JennM

Help (nitrate Levels)

It's the store ... we're expanding, doubling our space and adding in freshwater. We have practically been *given* a 1000 gallon tank, by a customer who is taking it down, it's 8' x 6' x 34"... we'll set it up as a FOWLR to start (I can hear my wallet being sucked dry as I type this...) and...
  12. JennM

Help (nitrate Levels)

Yep, I'm a BBB (Big Bad B...nevermind ;) ) That WAS my point -- the whole system didn't need to be overhauled or changed, IMO there wasn't a problem. Anyway, saltwater under the bridge ;) Mike - showed your Tank of the Month pix to a customer yesterday... she was salivating all over my...
  13. JennM

Anemone spawning??

Wow that's low pH. I'm not sure if that would be the cause, but I've read about clams spawning and wiping stuff out... I suppose it's possible. Could any other contaminant have come into the tank? Window cleaner, air freshener etc.? I've seen folks wipe out their tanks that way. Jenn
  14. JennM

Bangaii & LTA

My breeding banggais used to hang out in the bubble coral. I never managed to catch/save any of the babies, I suspect my fish and corals had a great meal whenever the male released babies. Jenn
  15. JennM

Craziest LFS prices

$1500 for a Conspic is pretty good -- hope it lives for whoever buys it. Yes it's expensive, but not a bad price for that fish, they are rare in the trade. $3K for a Clarion Angel is a lot of money too - but people are willing to pay it if that's the specimen they want. I've seen one come...