Recent content by Inverted

1. I

Light acclimatization, logical reason?

For one, corals produce pigments to block light and prevent photo damage. They can also do so to help collect light, as can zoox, but more likely when we talk about acclimation, we're talking about increasing light. So, in the ocean, they would be expected to produce pigment to handle the...
  2. I

Relationship between Ca and Mg

By the way, thinking about the last part "Would an increase in Ca be expected just from adding Mg?". I'd have to say no. The only exception maybe would be if pH dropped enough to dissolve some aragonite, for example. Then perhaps it would be less likely to re-precipitate even after the pH...
  3. I

Relationship between Ca and Mg

Calcium and "alkalinity" (actually, carbonate and bicarbonate) want to precipitate out of the water and form crystals such as aragonite and calcite. Basically sand, limestone kinda stuff. The amount of calcium and "alkalinity" the water can hold though, at healthy pH levels isn't much...
  4. I

Seachem RENEW

Can you renew renew? If it can be regenerated and reused, that would be a benefit. I've tried Purigen as you can renew it, but these products are proprietary and there isn't much if any independent testing. Carbon is pretty well studied, so, I have a reasonable idea of what it does and...
  5. I

Coral Detatching from Skeleton...

things like salinity, light, flow, temperature too much or too little can all cause polyp bailout. Also water quality, certainly things like ammonia. also untestable stuff though, such as copper, or just trace elements. How does everything else look? I'm not personally a fan of dosing...
  6. I

Frequency of GFO changes

I change weekly, just to make it part of my routine, but adjust the amount used based mostly by just watching the algae on the glass. Testing the tank does little good, because algae could just be consuming it, keeping it at 0. Testing the effluent is okay, but ideally to limit algae, you...
  7. I

RO reject no3 no2 vs RO accept values

How long has it been running? A seems high on the "clean" side. Should be close to 0 unless testing error. I think an RO can take a bit to break in too, but not sure that would explain it?